The Joel on Software Discussion Group (CLOSED)

A place to discuss Joel on Software. Now closed.

This community works best when people use their real names. Please register for a free account.

Other Groups:
Joel on Software
Business of Software
Design of Software (CLOSED)
.NET Questions (CLOSED)
TechInterview.org
CityDesk
FogBugz
Fog Creek Copilot

The Old Forum

Your hosts:
Albert D. Kallal
Li-Fan Chen
Stephen Jones

Remote Desktop - Local CD Writers

Would it be possible to use a local cd writer in a Remote Desktop Session, just as it is possible using a local printer? Windows XP as client and Windows 2000 as server. Can upgrade to Windows 2003, if required.

Are there other solutions?
KayJay Send private email
Tuesday, February 28, 2006

I want to use a remote DVD writer without remote desktop.
smalltalk Send private email

smalltalk, that should not be that much of a problem. You could have a webserver with cgi script shell the corresponding executable with arbitary arguments. Most CD burning software have some sort of a command line option.

I, on the other hand, am looking at using Server based software to burn cds at the client machine.

Apart from sharing the data and having it available to the local machine and then running the CD write from that local machine you could try running Remote Access back to the same client from a Remote Access session on a server but I don't know if any attempt at 'recursion' is checked.
Simon Lucy Send private email

Recursion is not checked. That much I can confirm. But that won't help me. The application I want to use resides on the server and, for varied reasons, cannot be run on the client. Hence my looking for some RDP kind of solution.

KayJay, you could do the same as you suggested for me, just the other way around, don't you?
smalltalk Send private email

How do you intend to put in the blank CD remotely?
Stephen Jones Send private email

smalltalk, I can't. The CD burning software resides on a computer that is different from the computer that houses the CD burning hardware.

I don't know how remote "remote" is but could you build the ISO image on one machine and then transfer it to the other machine for burning to CD?
John Ridout Send private email
Wednesday, March 01, 2006

I don't know if this whole thing is a good idea, because ultimately you end up doing exactly what John Ridout suggests, even if you find a way to get windows to do it for you. Can you really rely on your remote connection to remit your data rapidly and reliably enough to render it to the recording media without random errors?
Joel Coehoorn
Wednesday, March 01, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics