The Joel on Software Discussion Group (CLOSED)

A place to discuss Joel on Software. Now closed.

This community works best when people use their real names. Please register for a free account.

Other Groups:
Joel on Software
Business of Software
Design of Software (CLOSED)
.NET Questions (CLOSED)
Fog Creek Copilot

The Old Forum

Your hosts:
Albert D. Kallal
Li-Fan Chen
Stephen Jones

Climate modelling experiment

My post last November (Why wouldn't you switch your computer off when you leave work?)
seemed to generate a lot of debate.

The BBC and Oxford University have launched their climate change experiment

Here's a nice opportunity to put your CPU idle time to some good use....

Calculate my emissions
Wednesday, February 22, 2006
What is the experiment about, are they trying to affect climate by consuming extra power?
Smartass replies aside, apparently this approach uses a lot more power per computation than the supercomputer approach.  I know cost is an issue, I just find it funny in this particular case.
Does the 'power per computation' comparison take into account that many (most?) of the people sharing the load are already leaving their computers on anyway?
Ron Porter Send private email
I leave my computers (all 3 of them) running 24/7.  I run Seti@home on them.  I figure they might as well be doing something somewhat useful as long as they are running.
Do you leave them on so you can run seti or do you run seti because they are on?
A lot of corporate desktops get left on so that patches and administrative batchjobs can be run.

But most modern desktops don't idle effectively; they don't really effectively sleep.

Keeping the CPU "spinning" doesn't seem a big deal?

(As long as mgmt approve etc)
Architecture Astronaut
Thursday, February 23, 2006
It depends on how you set up your power settings.  There are good reasons on both sides:  Save electrical costs, the environment, and maybe some wear on your PC by turning it off.  Save time, and provide a period when patches and updates can be installed, have the resource available for distributed projects, and have the resource available for a remote connection (why I leave my home PC on during the day) by leaving it on.
Joel Coehoorn
Thursday, February 23, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics