The Joel on Software Discussion Group (CLOSED)

A place to discuss Joel on Software. Now closed.

This community works best when people use their real names. Please register for a free account.

Other Groups:
Joel on Software
Business of Software
Design of Software (CLOSED)
.NET Questions (CLOSED)
Fog Creek Copilot

The Old Forum

Your hosts:
Albert D. Kallal
Li-Fan Chen
Stephen Jones

Tried this screensaver?

More interesting than pictures of pipes, morphing cubes etc...
Tuesday, February 21, 2006
My personal preference is for the Blue-Screen-of-Death screen saver:
Green Eggs and Ham Send private email
Tuesday, February 21, 2006
Does anyone still use screen savers?

No, seriously?
Tapiwa Send private email
Wednesday, February 22, 2006
I don't.
Mr. Powers Send private email
Wednesday, February 22, 2006
My screen just goes into power saving mode when I go for a coffee brake. Why would I need a screen saver???

Oh, now I remember: wasn't that for those old crt monitors noone in their right mind would use today?
Daren Thomas Send private email
Thursday, February 23, 2006
Good afternoon, gentlemen.

Regarding TFTs and power-save options, point taken.

(Although bear in mind that there are still plenty of computers out there with CRTs. Also, not all PC devices take kindly to being woken up from standby mode.)

However, what I was really driving at is that screensavers are bundled in with Yer Average OS, and I'm constantly seeing developers leave their computers switched on either over lunch or overnight (me too for that matter). That's a golden opportunity to do something useful with these machines, other than simply heating the room.

I'm not sure if you followed the link, but the BOINC / climate change software does a bit more than screensaving: it will run happily as a background task without AFAIK appreciably compromising your computer's capability of doing day to day tasks.

So even if you do diligently turn your computer off, there's a good chance it will get some calculations done. You don't type that fast, do you? :-)

Gerard Send private email
Friday, February 24, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics