The Joel on Software Discussion Group (CLOSED)

A place to discuss Joel on Software. Now closed.

This community works best when people use their real names. Please register for a free account.

Other Groups:
Joel on Software
Business of Software
Design of Software (CLOSED)
.NET Questions (CLOSED)
TechInterview.org
CityDesk
FogBugz
Fog Creek Copilot

The Old Forum

Your hosts:
Albert D. Kallal
Li-Fan Chen
Stephen Jones

Missouri is crazy talk

I hoping that see something come up about this in the discussion forum, but it hasn't yet. I'm sure it's tongue-in-cheek, but I am curious about the story behind the comment.
MO Developer Send private email
Friday, February 17, 2006

See the third paragraph down. It's a new JoS meme.

http://www.joelonsoftware.com/items/2006/02/10.html
Bored Bystander Send private email

I believe that is what the original poster was referring to....  I think Joel is just being funny?
Phil Send private email

It sounds like dialog from an old western.
Rednatsyb Derob Send private email

I'm in MO and I was wondering about that too when I read it. We are the "Show Me" state, talk is just plain crazy.
Stacy Murray Send private email

I was kind of wondering about that myself. Is this some kind of entertainment reference, or just something making the rounds at Fog Creek?
SNG

Mississippi would've made more sense <_<
Patrick Sullivan

I'm not speaking for Joel, but I suspect it's nothing more than the cultural clash between "big city folks" (NYC) and the heartland (MO).

Reminds me of a story.

When I lived in Los Angeles, a friend met this wonderful sweet girl online, and she was from Nebraska. She decided to fly out to LA and meet my friend, as well as take in the sights.

The first thing she wanted to do was experience one of our notorious three hour long traffic jams; she said she just couldn't believe all the stories and can't imagine being surrounded by literally thousands of cars and people.

So the idea of people from Missouri moving to NYC... that's just crazy talk.  :)
TheDavid

As a native of St. Louis, and a Purdue graduate, I can attest that both Missouri and Indiana are a bit backwards at times and just get funny looks from people on either coast a lot of the time.  Illinois at least as Chicago to lend some help.

Either that or Joel just has a very odd little private joke with Eric Sink (his company being in the same town at U of I).
Larry Send private email

No, that's my brother, Crazy Talk.
JW

I'm a native of Missouri as well.  I recall being in Boston once, riding the subway.  Two people were having a conversation near me and one of them mentioned that they were taking a job in Missouri.  The other participant responded in all seriousness with "Missouri?!? Do they even have an airport?"
Jacob Send private email

I'm from Mississippi, and like Jacob, I've gotten some blank stares and ignorant comments. Once, while in DC, someone seriously asked me if we have to mail-order for shoes.

At least Missouri doesn't get a bad rap from Hollywood.
Mississippi Boy

Gee, Yankees... I wonder what they think of places *outside* the US...
Berislav Lopac Send private email

There are places outside the US?!?  Do people live there?
Yankee born & raised

I'm from Missouri.  When I went to school in Massachusetts, people were surprised to hear that I could actually go to a theater (or "picture show") and see a first run movie.  We even get the same TV channels that they do in the east!
Kyle Send private email

"At least Missouri doesn't get a bad rap from Hollywood."

Guess you didn't see "Million Dollar Baby."  Her family was from rural Missouri.

Personally, as a St. Louisan, I'm happy those on the coasts are so ignorant about our state.  Demand for developers stays reasonably high, and salaries correspondingly so, particularly in relation to the much lower cost-of-living compared to the humongous metropolitan areas.  I'd hate to have a bunch of Californians or New Yorkers move out here, flood the market, and ruin everything.  :)
Kyralessa Send private email

Aaaaaagh.

It's a very clear, simple joke. Keep re-reading the paragraph, slowly, until you get it.

For some reason I am still amazed how few people around here have any sense of humor.
a Hack

You should try being from New Mexico. All the sophisticated east coast intellectuals are always seriously asking about passports and how well I speak English.
Santa Fe

>>
It's a very clear, simple joke. Keep re-reading the paragraph, slowly, until you get it.

For some reason I am still amazed how few people around here have any sense of humor.
<<

Uh, I think you need to reread this post slowly.  I don't see anyone claiming to have been offended by this.  The way Joel phrased it, it seems like a reference to something.  We're just curious what it's a reference to.
SomeBody Send private email

Uh, he didn't accuse anyone of being offended, simply of not getting the joke. I've read the paragraph twice now and it doesn't seem particularly funny !
Kasey

It's an obvious troll, Kasey. I'm surprised you're not defending it.
<eg>

Not quite Missouri, but I'm in Kansas (Kansas City).  This area is the absolute best kept secret!  I grew up in Seattle (not too far from Redmond) and lived and worked out there for many years.  I'll never go back.  Of course, if all of you wanted to come out here and bring your crowds, smog, traffic, etc, etc....  Hmmmm, just joking.  This place sucks ;)
Doug Send private email

People from Missori are dumb, everyone knoes that.
Bish

Um, perhaps you need to move out there and at least get a little help with your spelling?

Saturday, February 18, 2006

The Four Guys from Rolla refer to Rolla, Missouri. They seem to be respected here:

http://discuss.joelonsoftware.com/default.asp?joel.3.300754.7
http://www.4guysfromrolla.com/

The University of Missouri at Rolla is very respected engineering school. (I went there)
MO Developer Send private email

My father was never one to give advice, but when I was about to go off to college, he asked me this:
Mr. Worthnone:  What do they call the person that graduates last in his class from medical school?
Lloyd:  What?
Mr. Worthnone:  Doctor.
Meh

"The University of Missouri at Rolla is very respected engineering school. (I went there)"

Me too:) Got a masters in mechanical engineering from there back in the day.

I would love to meet those 4 guys from Rolla if they are still around. Maybe the M$ user group can bring them to St. Louis to host a meeting or two.

You Rolla boys are all hopeless.
Alice

I only can speak for myself, and I agree *lol*

Rolla is a very good engineering school (I also graduated from there), and yes, living in the Midwest (for me) is a thousand times better than a "big city".

I lived in Chicago for a year, and have visited both New York and Los Angeles. No, thank you.

I live in Kansas City, and we have a significant amount of the culture of the "big cities" with none of the problems.

Jobs may pay only 60-70% of what you make on the coasts, but the cost of living is 50% (25% when you're talking about houses). You do the math.

The house I live in cost me $225,000. It would go for $800,000 in Chicago, and probably 1 million in San Fransisco or New York. Insane.

Enjoy that 1000 square foot apartment or condo, terrible traffic, and the bad air all you want.
RR
Sunday, February 19, 2006

"We did get a lot more good applications. Really good applications. Not just kids from Indiana. Students from all over. Illinois. Missouri. Well, OK, maybe not Missouri. Missouri is crazy talk."

The "joke" of the paragraph is a reference to a previous article (cue loss of humor) where he mentions that most of the interns hired for Aardvark/Copilot were from or had some association with Indiana.

http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/BestSoftwareWriting.html

-----
The next day I was talking to one of the summer interns we just hired. For some reason, this year’s summer intern class consists of 75% people who are either from Indiana or who went to school in Indiana. Indiana, for those of you not familiar with our American landscape, is somewhere in the middle, a state of farms, wholesome colleges with corn-fed basketball-playing kids, Norman Rockwell towns, and the occasional rust-belt hellmouth industrial city gasping its last breath. (As I write these words I brace for the slew of angry letters from the Indiana Department of Tourism and Infrastructure promoting the exciting cultural scene, the many picturesque lakes, the world-class telephone system, and the variety of ethnic restaurants. You might find a Mexican restaurant and an Italian restaurant on the same block!)

Anyway, the intern said he had never lived in New York City, and asked me what it was like. I didn’t really have a good answer, but I said, “New York is the kind of place where ten things happen to you every day on the way to the subway that would have qualified as interesting dinner conversation in Bloomington, Indiana, and you don’t pay them any notice.”

Feeling smug with myself, I pulled down an atlas from the bookshelf to find another state to insult.
------

So the "joke" is that THIS summer, they are expanding the geographic range of possible intern sources. To Illinois. But no further. As far away as Missouri? That's crazy talk.

Looks like he found another state to insult :)

Brad (St. Louis developer)
Brad Corbin Send private email
Monday, February 20, 2006

Actually, my apartment is about 750 square feet. And the Chiefs and BBQ stands don't count as culture.
SNG
Tuesday, February 21, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics