The Joel on Software Discussion Group (CLOSED)

A place to discuss Joel on Software. Now closed.

This community works best when people use their real names. Please register for a free account.

Other Groups:
Joel on Software
Business of Software
Design of Software (CLOSED)
.NET Questions (CLOSED)
TechInterview.org
CityDesk
FogBugz
Fog Creek Copilot

The Old Forum

Your hosts:
Albert D. Kallal
Li-Fan Chen
Stephen Jones

Firefox 1.5 will not display .stm or .ece web pages

I am sorry to have to post this here, but I have spend the last two hours googling and searching the Mozillazine forums with no success.

Firefox is suddenly not displaying the bbc or 'the independent'. I thought this might have been the result of the latest update, so I reinstalled Firefox, having previously deleted the profile. Same problem.

The pages are downloading (I can see the whole page when I click view source) but are not displaying. They show up perfectly in IE.

The BBC pages have an .stm extension, and the Independent pages have an .ece extension.

Any hints as to where to start looking?
Stephen Jones Send private email
Thursday, February 16, 2006

I can see them just fine on my 1.5.0.1...
Berislav Lopac Send private email

Gary van der Merwe Send private email

What do you see in the DOM-Inspector?
Gary van der Merwe Send private email

What am I supposed to see in the DOM window?

When I click on inspect nothing shows up in the browser subpane, as happens with other pages.

There is an html tree entry missing, that is normally present in other sites, but not all.

not sure about this, but it's probably because the style elements are inside the body tag.
Vineet Reynolds Send private email

What extensions do you have installed?
Fred

None, and I still get the problem. I have even downloeaded the latest build and nixed the one I was reinstalling from. I can see the pages in IE, and everybody else can still see them in Firefox. I have deleted all profiles, all cache and still get the problem.

I am now going to go through the registry and delete every reference to Firefox or Mozilla.

The problem was cookies. For some strange reason the BBC and The Independent had cookies that prevented their sites from rendering properly! Possibly the cookies were tired to some setting on the particular version of the browser or particular machine and were not portable. Any way problem has gone away. If it recurs I'll just delete the cookies.

'The Independent' site is particularly vicious. It immediately puts them back and the pages don't render. To make things worse you have to block all sessions, not just www.independent.co.uk but also money.independent.co.uk and news.independent.co.uk as well. Makes you wonder exactly what they are putting in the cookies.

Time to add the "Add N Edit Cookies" extension ;-)
Fred

Use IE?

Someone had to say it :)
SomeBody Send private email

There are two problems with IE, one solvable and one not.

The one that is solvable is the lack of tabbed browsing. There is an extension for that. But as I never use IE I don't have it installed. Before I shifted (first to Netscape) I used to have a taskbar three deep in IE windows. I have a dial up connection and would never get anything done if I couldn't opne twenty or thirty tabs at the beginning of my browsing and then read through the first few whilst the rest load in the background.

The problem that is not solvable by a plug in is resizing the font size for sites that use a fixed font width. You can make small changes with IE, but they are not satisfactory. Because Firefox renders them differently the fonts are resizeable.

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics