The Joel on Software Discussion Group (CLOSED)

A place to discuss Joel on Software. Now closed.

This community works best when people use their real names. Please register for a free account.

Other Groups:
Joel on Software
Business of Software
Design of Software (CLOSED)
.NET Questions (CLOSED)
Fog Creek Copilot

The Old Forum

Your hosts:
Albert D. Kallal
Li-Fan Chen
Stephen Jones

With all the recent posts about colleges, was just curious as to opinion regarding homeschooling nowadays.  For both gradeschool and/or high school, as well as, computers and/or non-computers.

It seems to be growing in numbers over the years, and there are a fair number of networking communities and curriculum resources available.
smartin Send private email
Monday, February 13, 2006
every homeschooled kid I know is a complete freakshow.
Sassy Send private email
Amen to that Sassy. I've known a handful in my lifetime and they are all completely nuts. Seriously!

I also know a couple of ladies who home school their kids (I went to highschool with them). Both of these ladies got crappy grades in school. I can't even imagine what they could be teaching their kids. Neither of these ladies progressed beyond basic algebra. How can they expect their kids to get a decent education at home?
My next door neighbor homeschooled her kids all the way through 12th grade. She was a teacher herself, so had an advantage over the average parent. They had no problem with any standardized tests and their SAT scores were farily high. They had no problem getting into college or a job.

You might think you can't "homeschool" all the way to a BS degree, but you can do that too. Empire State College for instance, is part of the New York state university system and is acccredited in the same way all it's other campuses are, except there ain't no campus.

The degrees are recognized as much as any other state school. A few elitists may sitck up their noses at it but for the most part, those degrees are usually as good as any others. Then again, if you apply to an elitist institution, you would get the same snub if your degree is from Podunk State.
SumoRunner Send private email
I think it depends in part on where you are:
Arkansas, Georgia are traditionally near the bottom in terms of standardized test scores (if they mean anything to you).
Minnesota & Wisconsin are traditionally near the top.  At either end the quality can vary greatly depending on the local administration.

So if I lived in Arkansas I might be more inclined to homeschool than if I lived in Wisconsin, depeding on the quality available to me in the local public school district.
Joel Coehoorn
Knowing some home schooling people, I can see how you can do it through highschool (unknown are the effects of getting into a really good college), but I don't think you could for college.  Colleges have to have the programs they offer accredited, which is a hoop I don't think a homeschooler could just through.  (And I think it is costly, takes a great deal of time and you get like a 2 year trial period.)  [Don't quote me on any of the college side stuff, as it is from memory/an old college prof.]
I forgot my posting name.
I know of a couple of cases. In the case I know best, the student has received the best K-12 education of anyone I know. They also have, in my estimation, some severe social impediments. Always being the center of attention, always having the "teacher" wait for them to get it before moving on, never being wrong in front of everyone. They may seem like small things but in the end they are just as important as reading, writing, and arithmetic.
A. Nonymous
I know at least half a dozen families in my neighborhood  homeschooling kids aged around 5 to 12.  None of them seem like freakshows.  And some of them are doing really cool things: one older kid wants to be an inventor, so his mom took a night class with him on metalworking where he learned to arc weld.  (Public schools could teach this, obviously -- I arc welded a grappling hook in middle school, aged 12 or 13 -- but they don't these days.  Not around here, anyway.)

Seems to me that when done right, homeschooling can do a much better job teaching the kind of "how to learn interesting, useful things skill" that you need as an adult, vs the public school "we have one teacher per 30 kids, so regimentation and homogenity is the only way to teach" approach.  Not to mention the whole monopoly-engendered quality problems.
Jonathan Ellis
long live anecdotal evidence!

fwiw, every home-schooled kid I know is well-adjusted, bright and has parents who have often undertaken significant sacrifices to make the homeschooling thing happen.

btw, HS has been a particularly alluring choice for those parents who live in bad hoods where public schools are academically atrocious and just plain unsafe, as well as religious ones who can then assume control over their kids' religious education
consider the options
As someone who has the misfortune of growing up in Arkansas, going to agree with Joel Coehoorn.  Other then the magnet highschool for juniors and seniors (which I was lucky enough to attend, since only ~150/grade get in) the public education system here is abysmal. 

The State courts are actually tearing into the legislature and governor over it it has gotten so bad.

So definetly look at your state/county's education quality and see how it stands up.
Patrick Sullivan
Caveat Lector: my wife is a retired NYS teacher.

Education varys widely by state. My daughter and her husband both taught high school science in a southern state after they got out of college. They were sorely disappointed at the level of administration support and indeed community support for teachers in the south. (I won't say which state. I'd rather make a blanket condemnation to keep you guessing.)

After two years they moved back to New York where (you can choose to beleive this or not) teachers are actually held in high regard by parents and administrators and respected by the kids. Now, if you find that statement hard to swallow, you have an idea of the conditions under which teachers have to perform in some states.

Homeschooling in NY state also has rather high standards compared to most states. There are administrators who have to evaluate every household that refuses to send their kids and there are standard criteria for measuring progress. And the kids still have to pass the same tests. My nextdoor neighbor's kids took NYS Regents exams (those are the tougher ones) and aced them.
My neighbor home-schooled all of his six children and they all went to college. I think the two girls went to Berkeley, one boy to UCLA, and the other boys to Cal State.

They are all socialized very well. They have some kind of system whereby the mothers get together every day for "recess" at local parks. There is also some kind of state supervision. It turned out well for them.
MBJ Send private email
I work for an educational software company that provides home school materials and I can say that the market is maturing rapidly as parents lose faith in the education system as is.

Socialization is always a concern but I can attest to the prior comment that many home school regional parents get together and socialize their kids once in a while.  In addition, some communities have gone so far as to have different parents teach different subjects they are skilled in (like I would teach a math class and mrs jones would teach literature).  This allows not only for socialization, but to give a diversity of teachers in front of the kids.  It often turns out very well.
Eric Wise Send private email
I can't imagine homeschool children being more obnoxious than some geeks here!

Rick Tang Send private email
USA Ski Team's Bode Miller was homeschooled.
Green Eggs and Ham Send private email
I disagree with the freak show statement, i've known a few homeschooled kids who are pretty normal.  It depends on HOW you homeschool them.  You have to make sure they still have plenty of chances to interact with their peers, for example the kids I've known were still enrolled in the local sports teams (I believe as a tax payer in that district the kid can usually even join the high school football team etc). 

I'm not sure there is a huge advantage in homeschooling, unless you are in a really bad area... I think public school is a good place to get kids other valuable skills that will be useful in the real world, that have nothing to do with book learning.
Phil Send private email
My wife and I are expecting our first child in a few weeks.  We live in central California and the schools are abysmal.  If we still live here, or anywhere else with comparable schools, when our kid(s) reach school age, we will homeschool them. 

I feel like I would be hurting my kids education by sending them to public school (here). 

When I was in high school, most of my classmates were functionally illiterate.  This made it very difficult to accomplish anything significant in class.  In English, we used to read our texts together as a class (at about three pages per 50 minute class period).  My teachers would get upset with me for reading ahead instead of keeping pace with the class.

When I was in elementary school, my mom would argue with my teachers because they didn't like being challenged (by me).  I wasn't cocky or troublesome, BTW, just inquisitive.

Overall, public school was a terrible experience for me.  I found it oppressive and dull.
pdp11hacker Send private email
For many bright children, a home schooled child can breeze through 1-9 grade math in about 3 years. School is SOO full of filler, and has to teach to the “common” denominator.

When you think of how much actual “work” or how much time an actual student spends in “flow”, I reckon that a bright student could do more in about 50 minutes of study then a whole day at school. 

When a student loves something like math..they they just zoom off into the distance when home schooled. They can hit college level math real easy in just a few years…often even less!!!. In normal school, you can’t move the student ahead, and as a result they just become bored..or become lazy.  They can often skip a grade..but then English, or other skills may not yet have moved as fast as the math skills for example. It is this difficulty in dealing with different skill levels that home schooling often does a much better job.

Much is going to depend on the given situation, and how well of a job the parents can do.  It also depends on the type of schools that one has access to. If they are crap, then the child is going to be wasting their time there..and learn bad work habits anyway.  It also depends much on the child’s work habits. 

The largest problem today is that teacher have a really rough time. They have those “super kids” that already know math and the alphabet before grade 1, and then you have some students that have had zero teaching before they walk into school. So, half the class is over qualified,  the other half has not a clue, and the other half is complete bored!!! (ok…I meant 1/3)

As for the comments about home schooled kids being socially inept, that not what the studies show at all. They tend to be above average in academic accomplishments. And, they are above average socially well adjusted.

While those kids don’t have a brick school building to go to, they socialize at dance class, music class, local hockey league, horse riding, swimming classes, art classes, jazz classes…or whatever high quality activities the parents have enrolled the children in.  The amount of activities and clubs in a given city today is really large.

When you leave the “glove” of school, and go off to college, then you don’t have your same classes and friends every day….turns out that the home schooled child been in that kind of situation for LONGER then the child at school. College, and life in general tends to be much less structured then grade school anyway.  It is a myth that these children have any social impediments. This myth is simply that of teachers seeing their need being reduced – or more often the taxes they receive for each child.

You probably are better off enrolling your child in the local cycling club where they feature monthly competitions and races then the school gym class where they run around and throw a bean bag in a box.  And, the group of people enrolled in the cycling club tend to want to be there, and have a passion for what they do. Same for dance classes, or even enrolled the child in theatre and acting classes at the local theater workshops.

At the end of the day, I do think a  home school child is MUCH better off, but ONLY if the parents take a active role, and take advantage of the opportunities. If home schooling is just a few books at home to save a bus ride to school, then the whole process is going to be an utter failure.

So, this is one of those things where if the parents make a effort, it is better. If you can’t make an effort, then you better put them on that bus in the morning.

I think the advent of computers and the internet will continue to have a HUGE impact on schooling. I spent about 2 years writing education software, and the ramifications of computers and teaching is rapidly changing right now. We really only had the internet for about 5 years in any large way.

Education and the internet are going to be a hot issue for years to come.  While the original topic is home schooling, I think this is a technology issue. I also think that schools are not taking advantage of this tecnology.

Albert D. Kallal
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
Albert D. Kallal Send private email
SumoRunner --
About the New York State Regents, not that demanding of an exam. I was a horrible student in High School  (maybe 2.8 gpa), but generally aced the Regents exams (at worst took one or two exams where i got around the mid 80's). I would say SAT II's are more challenging (and standardized in terms of comparing student exam performance across many demographics).

Though my high school was fairly competitive, so i guess my experience is biased.

"USA Ski Team's Bode Miller was homeschooled."

And he still gets his butt kicked regularly by Ivica Kostelic. :P
Berislav Lopac Send private email
> About the New York State Regents, not that demanding
> of an exam.

i.e. relative to the school exam in the same subject. Let's say Regents biology vs the Albany central school district biology exam.

There's a third level in most suburban high schools. My daughter taught the advance placement (college credit) courses in Chemistry and Physics, so she never saw the average students. I never saw any homeschool kids take those exams though.
Sumo, if New York is so great and the South is so bad, how come New York scores so badly nationally compared to most states in the south (Mississippi is bad, yes, but that's one state).

And please don't blame immigrants.
Art Wilkins
>> I never saw any homeschool kids take those exams though. <<

What do homeschoolers do for things like chemistry lab?
The old baking-soda volcano won't cut it when it comes time for actually making a polymer, etc.

Perhaps if the density of homeschoolers is high enough in an area, someone could open a chem & physics lab just for them.
example Send private email
> And please don't blame immigrants.

Immigrants actually skew things quite a bit, for a variety of reasons. That doesn't mean they are dumber or smarter than anyone else.

NYC schools have college-like admissions -- you need to apply to get into any number of high schools. Some high schools are world-class, some so-so, some are utterly pathetic. Immigrants and minorities who don't integrate well tend to do poorly on entrance exams and end up in poor schools.

To illustrate how bad the bad schools are... My uncle taught chemistry at Thomas Jefferson High School in Brooklyn. Most of his classes had in excess of 120 students "enrolled"... but he would typically see 6-12 kids. Most students who actually showed up came for the free breakfast and left for lunch. In over 5 years, he had 3 students get passing grades on the Chemistry Regents.

You also need to factor in the awful city schools in decaying upstate places like Buffalo, Syracuse & Utica.
Duff Send private email
"What do homeschoolers do for things like chemistry lab?"

It depends. If one of your parents is a chemist, probably a lot of really cool stuff. Heck, if one is a technical/science person you probably do a lot of really cool things. It all boils down to the involvement of the "teacher". If the parent/s is/are engaged, the student has the opportunity to go well beyond the typical high-school cirriculum. I think the danger is that parents may not realize that home-schooling is a full-time job. They may do fine for a while but then fall behind because of any number of issues.

One of the previous posters pointed out that all of this is anecdotal evidence and they are correct. I know three people who were home-schooled:

1 was a religious freak who though that dinosaurs were extinct because Noah couldn't fit them on the ark,

1 went to public school up until high-school and then was home-schooled. From what I recall he turned out pretty normal.

1 obtained a world-class education from two parents who took a very active interest but, from my observations, has some serious developmental problems.

I would call that a 2/3 success rate (the last two being the successes) but would not suggest that you could extrapolate it any population beyond the three cases I described.
A. Nonymous
My cousins were homeschooled.  They took science classes (and Calculus) at the local community college during their high school years.  Most community colleges (in California at least) offer high-school level math, science and english courses. 

The oldest of my cousins is in college now and could have graduated early because he took a lot of transferrable courses at the community college as well; he's double-majoring instead.
pdp11hacker Send private email
I was homeschooled as a kid, and I think it worked out pretty well. Until high school, I could usually finish my work in about 2 hours, and then could play for the rest of the day. I read the entire encyclopedia one year (-:

In high school, it got harder, but I was still about 3 years ahead of the kids at the school that supervised my grades. I scored a 1590 on the SAT, and went to a community college for most of my 11th and 12th grade work. I got straight A's until I realized that it paid better to pay less attention at school, and concentrate on work (I had a programming job at 16). Admittedly, I'm the "smart one" of the family, but all of my siblings are substantially above average.

As for social development, my parents must have done a good job - I've never had any trouble handling social situations.

(If you can't tell, I'm a big fan of homeschooling)
Statistics about home schooling success may be skewed because it is typically parents with high motivation who would go this way. I would expect that those parents also have to have sufficient knowledge and teaching skills to be able to home school. Unfortunately, I fear that a good number of those parents simply don't want their children to hear about evolution.

That said, I know some home schooled children and they seem to be doing just fine. However, one of their parents is a professor, the other one stays at home full time.
I believe that you see a bimodal distribution on home-schooled student's standardized test scores.  On the low end, you tend to get students that were home-schooled for religious reasons.  And on the high end, you get the remainder.
AVigesaa Send private email
You guys might find this interesting:

Industrialized schooling is more about control than education.
Duff Send private email
How much lab equipment and supplies are available for home use these days?  A while back there was an announcement on the Society for Amateur Science site, expressing concern that some state wanted to outlaw or limit purchases of lab equipment because it could be used for manufacture of illegal drugs.  There is also the difficulty of buying chemicals.  Are there any sources these days?

OTOH, it should be easy to set up a physics lab.
argon Send private email
I did a lot of tutoring of homeschool students while in college and they generally were better off than their public school counterparts.  In particular they were more thoughtful in their approach to problems and didn't jump straight to just guessing.

Seemingly independent of their academic success was their "socialization".  They seemed to be pushed more to the extremes (good and bad) in this respect.  Most of them were much more capable of acting as an adult.  They were more independent, in a good way.  Then there were the freaks pushed into homeschooling by their parents.

Using only my unquantfied observation, I would put religion as correlation and not causation.  The freaks get attracted to the extremes ends of various religions.  I certainly had kids that attended church on Sundays that were homeschooled but they were often among the best kids I knew.

The freaks are drawn to homeschooling just like they're drawn to any number of bizarre things, like California.
Lance Send private email
The observations on "socialization" are interesting.  They are about what I might expect.  That is, most doing quite well but some extreme exceptions.

I attended public schools, K-12, and don't remember it as being of much value for learning social skills.  Maybe it was good for the "popular" kids, but for the rest of us it was a negative experience.  You can't make a one-size-fits all environment and really expect everyone to fit in.  I think I got more out of extracurricular activities which were not school related and generally consisted of people who were there because they wanted to be, not because of compulsory attendance laws.
argon Send private email
"Overall, public school was a terrible experience for me.  I found it oppressive and dull."

Me too. In elementary school, the powers that be decided I was slow and needed special education and daily doses of Ritalin so I could keep up with the other kids. They really pressured my parents to send me to short bus school and get me on drugs. So, my mom decided to send me to a shrink. The shrink gave me an IQ test and it turned out I was mentally gifted and just board with school. From that point on I was placed in honors courses.

I have no faith in the public schools. If they can't distinguish a retard from a genius, they have major staffing problems.
MBJ Send private email
Tuesday, February 14, 2006
If you are a genious you'd probably ace all the tests.

Perhaps you don't do all the homeworks?
Rick Tang Send private email
"On the low end, you tend to get students that were home-schooled for religious reasons."

AVigesaa, I'm guessing that you're wrong. My parents chose to homeschool "for religious reasons", and my siblings and I all have scored well above average.

Since then, I've met other people in Christian groups who were homeschooled, and they have consistently been as smart or smarter than "normal" people.
+1 pdp11hacker

You don't see homeschooled kids in AP classes, because the school districts will pay for them to go to community college. So while the smart kids in public school are working with all the other smart kids in AP classes, homeschoolers are taking college level classes with normal students at the community college.

Of course, that means interacting with people older, and in different phases of their life. Whereas the AP students (in my experience) are a homogonized mass. Similar family structure, similar age, similar socio-economic background. Who comes out looking "more socialized" there?
outcast (ex-devloper) Send private email
We homeschool and it works well for us.  My kids are happy and learning lots.  They are probably going to be a little weird (my wife and I are a little weird ourselves). 

They'd still be weird if we stuck them in a public school, they'd just be weird, bored, and unhappy.
Matt Conrad
We homeschool our four kids as well.

Yes, they are all "weird" when compared to most public schooled kids. But then again, my wife and I are a little strange ourselves. Our kids prefer classical music, watch very little TV (they don't even know who Sponge Bob is beyond the toys sold on the shelfs at Walmart), and are generally capapble of carrying on a conversation with an adult. I don't see any of these as a detriment.

As far as Chemistry and other upper level courses, there are a lot of options. We have a local homeschool co-op that meets every Friday and has upper level classes taught by folks who are knowledgable in the area (Chemistry is taught by a chemical engineer for instance). If the co-op can't handle the course, there is the option of taking a college level class, or even doing independent study. Get the kids some books, some equipment, a lot of safety advice and cut them loose.

When it comes time to get into college, a lot of colleges are now actively recruiting homeschooled kids, so I don't foresee that being a real problem. If worse comes to worse, they can get into a state college and then transfer after they have a proven year at the college level.

Like some of the earlier posters said though, homeschooling is like any schooling. The outcome is largely dependant on the level of effort the teacher is willing to expend. If the parents don't care, then the child will have a lousy education. The only way this differs from public school is that with public school, if the kid gets a lousy teacher there's a pretty good chance that they'll have a different teacher next year.
Steve Barbour Send private email
We homeschool our kids (for religous reasons), and we also know alot of other home-schooled kids and they are far from being "social-retards" compared to their public school counterparts.  I have found, on average, home-schooled kids to be more indepent-thinkers, more self-confident, able to carry on a cogent conversation with adults, able to relate to people on all levels/ages and less pre-occupied with the need to "fit-in" or to "belong-to" various teen social groups. 

In my expereince, the whole "socialization" aspect that people bring up as a negative against homeschooling really holds no water.  In actuality, I think the evidence would point to the public education system is the one that really retards the growth of kids.  It is another "well-intentioned", big goverment, mass social-experiment gone awry.  Let see, let's throw a bunch immature, underdeveloped, kids together, with little supervision,  and teach them how not to think for themselves, be pre-occupied/obsessed with peer social conformity.  Yeah, we're really gonna crank out geniouses with that system.
Our neighbor told us that her kids weren't weird because they are homeschooled-they are homeschooled because they are weird.  She had a socially bad school experience, her kids had similar personalities, and she decided to spare them the pain.

In contrast, there's a girl at my daughter's dance school who is homeschooled and you'd never know it.  She's very well adjusted.  You might expect her to be part of the popular crowd at the local high school.
I'm not anonymous
>What do homeschoolers do for things like chemistry lab

I had a really nice chemistry what..grade 2? It came with a great exercise book, some nice Bunsen burners (actually, they were alcohol ones), a nice stand for the burner, and a whole assortment of beakers etc.  And, a very large assortment of chemicals (of course the potassium chlorate and potassium nitrate where the first chemicals we used up – it sure don’t take kids long to find out what burns great!!!!!!). 

The assortment of chemicals included was quite large..and all nicely labled in cool looking little bottles. Go to any Wal-Mart, or toys-r us…….you can get a whole assortment of chemistry sets. From the little junior model to a real geek setup..and they are very affordable.  I also had a really nice microscope set also (came with a whole bunch of pre-made slides...bugs etc.). I remember the first time I put some pond water all look at it….wow…all kinds o things swimming in there!!

About the only problem was nearly burning down the house (true story!!).

I was not home schooled. The comments here basically state that if you as a parent have the know how, and motivation to home school, then you can. If you don’t have the time (or ability) to do this…then you likely best put them on the bus….

I do think that since this is a software board, then to me the issue really involves around how much of a change the internet makes here. The internet changes everything now when it comes to education.  It was about 2 months ago I took a quick walk though the university library..and it struck as to how few students where in there (as compared to when I went to university). Libraries…do we need them anymore?

The internet is going to change how education is delivered…plain and simple….

Albert D. Kallal
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
Albert D. Kallal Send private email
> The internet is going to change how education
> is delivered…plain and simple….

What's so great about being educated in front of a screen?
HS Send private email
HS, you're thinking "Web 1.0", man. Of course nobody wants to sit in front of a screen for everything. Web 2.0 is going to change _everything_, and totally blur the line between brick-and-mortar education and distance learning.
How am I doing?
Wednesday, February 15, 2006
+1 for personal experience.

My history: I was home-schooled full-time through grade 9, and then for HS took a sampling approach. I stuck with home-schooling for most things, and then attended the local public HS (for music) and the local community college (for lab science) part time. Then I attended a traditional 4-year liberal arts based college for my BS.

Regarding my academics: I'm generally a smart kid, and the flexibility of home-schooling allowed me to flex my curiosity and intelligence. In my state (WA), all home-schoolers were required to take standardized tests once a year. These were more of a formality for me and my siblings as we scored several grades higher than our peers. Once I was exposed to the curiosity levels and work rate of *most* of my classmates in the public/CC schools, I appreciated my own schooling that much more. Yes, there were a few students at the public school that were smarter than I, harder workers, and got into top-tier schools. But despite being "stuck" at home with a mostly self-taught (here's a textbook, let me know if you have any questions) approach, I was easily in the 95 percentile.

Moving to college, it was a bit of an adjustment with the preponderance of group work. I had no problem with the independent learning required of a college student, but when it came to collaborating with others, I tended to distrust and double-check their work. Once I got past my sophomore year, I adjusted successfully and achieved decent grades.

The S word: Socializing seems to be the biggest concern among those considering (or discounting) home-schooling – and rightly so. I too knew quite a few other home-schoolers who were downright socially handicapped. They couldn’t carry a conversation with anyone outside their immediate family. But then there were those for whom social interactions came easily. An earlier poster suggested that home-schooling tends to polarize kid’s social abilities. I agree.

For those of us for whom our parents provided other social outlets (sports, church, community activities, etc) we are able to socialize just fine. I have a shy personality, and growing up the fairer sex was always intimidating. But I was allowed to deal with my shyness on my own terms, without the traditional cruelty one sees every day in the elementary, middle, and high school hallways. And now I feel I’m more adjusted, and with fewer scars then I ever would have given a traditional public school environment.

(As an aside, given the alternative social outlets offer a wider age-base than a school setting, I was always able to handle adult or young child settings. And I find that’s usually true of those home-schoolers with social skills – we can act adult when needed, because we’re not surrounded by our peers 8-10 hours a day.)

Long-windedness aside, the sum total of my home-schooling was a positive.  There were things I missed out on, in both a social and academic sense (such as AP courses, slower pick-up on romantic nuances, band camp, grade camaraderie, etc). But the negatives I missed far outweigh the positives (such as AP courses, slower pick-up on romantic heartbreak, band camp, grade cruelty, etc).
Janson Send private email
Wednesday, February 15, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics