The Joel on Software Discussion Group (CLOSED)

A place to discuss Joel on Software. Now closed.

This community works best when people use their real names. Please register for a free account.

Other Groups:
Joel on Software
Business of Software
Design of Software (CLOSED)
.NET Questions (CLOSED)
Fog Creek Copilot

The Old Forum

Your hosts:
Albert D. Kallal
Li-Fan Chen
Stephen Jones

CNN Report on Starting Salaries for Grads

Here's the link:

What struck me as interesting here was that Computer Science starting salaries had gone down since last year.  What happened to all this talk about a reduced programming workforce and how we needed to bolster the numbers to keep from falling behind?  I guess I really shouldn't complain, that is just less competition in the job market (less supply of labor locally), which automatically means increased demand. 

It just seems strange to me that with all the heavy recruiting that is going on of computer science gurus (the fight between Google, Yahoo, Microsoft, etc.) that the companies would be looking to hire the best and brightest before anyone else got them.  If they were trying to hire the best, I would think that would put some upward pressure on the average starting salary.  Of course, I am no economist.
Joshua Volz Send private email
Monday, February 13, 2006
It only applies pressure if they hire enough to sway the total number.  As these companies do not hire many, they have little sway unless they pay incredible amounts.

I believe you hit it with "computer science gurus."  Most people believe they are good, but think MS, Google, Apple, etc. are looking for "gurus" so they apply to local industry which pays less.
That's a very interesting article. It's typical for people to say that the 60 hour weeks with no extra pay for developers are justified because of the higher salary, but we see that Cs majors make only slightly more than accounting majors, all whom work 40 hours or less, and not too much more than liberal arts majors working retail.
Art Wilkins
ever here of outsourcing? That's why CS starting salaries have gone down.
Patrick from an IBank Send private email
Accountants only work 40 hrs a week?  Ever heard of tax season?  I work 40 hrs a week, my accountant friends are working 6:30 am - 8 pm, plus another 10 - 12 hrs on the weekends.  Ugh.

My dad is an accountant - we hardly saw him during audit season (Aug - Nov).  Accountants are one group you really shouldn't be accusing of having slack hours.
nathan Send private email
I doubt that any new grad is a guru.

That's like picking the best skiers off the bunny slope and signing them up for the Olympics.

Google, Microsoft and the others don't lay out real money for new grads so, if one of them pays a few thousand more or less than the others, it's just a quirk.  They don't compete aggressively because hiring new grads is all about buying potential, not buying real skills.

Rather than offer higher salaries, these companies do better by raising their profile and coolness.  That'll pay off for them more and they know it.
Daniel Howard Send private email
+1 for nathan.

During tax season, most CPAs are working 60 hours easily, most likely close to 80. They also hire a lot of accounting majors from local schools to help them out with the workload.

I know this because my last girlfriend was an accounting major and I got a little inside scoop at the workings at the firm she worked at.
QADude Send private email
accounting is a miserable job and a miserable profession, but corporate, non-tax accountants often have a pretty easy ride. (assuming no re-files)
Sassy Send private email
Has anyone watched Dirty Jobs on the Discovery channel? Now those are miserable jobs. Accounting is a cushy profession compared to most jobs out there.
I think what we are seeing is increased stratification. The smartest guys who graduate from the best schools will likely have bright futures (for a while), while the others will peak very early and find themselves targets for outsourcing at an even earlier age. If salaries are down, it indicates there is a glut of programmers. It could be due to outsourcing and globalization, I don’t know.

It is interesting that people like Bill Gates bemoan the lack of CS graduates, yet he would not hire 95% of CS graduates to begin with.

It just further indicates to me that software development is not a profession.
MBJ Send private email
Salaries are down because dudes were making 150k to do ASP code in 1998.
Sassy Send private email

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics