The Joel on Software Discussion Group (CLOSED)

A place to discuss Joel on Software. Now closed.

This community works best when people use their real names. Please register for a free account.

Other Groups:
Joel on Software
Business of Software
Design of Software (CLOSED)
.NET Questions (CLOSED)
TechInterview.org
CityDesk
FogBugz
Fog Creek Copilot

The Old Forum

Your hosts:
Albert D. Kallal
Li-Fan Chen
Stephen Jones

Isn't iCal the best calendar?

Of course, you need a Mac but then aren't you supposed to use the best tools money can buy?  :)
Steve
Friday, February 10, 2006

Wow.  I'm a happy Mac owner and I don't even know where to begin.

Please don't make statements like this, snarky or not.  It just invites trouble.
Larry Send private email

Here I am!
Trouble

Brother of Trouble

>
> Steve

Mr Jobs - will you stop trolling JoelOnSoftware and get back to the board meeting.
Martin Send private email

We use iCal for everything in our company and it works flawlessly and does all the stuff joel mentioned. But it's mac only, so not a valid choice for him.

But maybe there are vcal/ical (the format) based calendar products for windows?
compilenix

I use iCal for my personal calendar since I have a Mac, but it is really, really slow.
Luke Francl

When I read the first reviews of it, they said it was a great application that doesn't play well with others.

More specifically, if everything you needed to do could be done within a calendar program, iCal is fantastic. I used it for a while as a to-do list, and I do like the interface. However, if you needed to integrate it with (or import/export to Address Book, Mail, Thunderbird, iChat, whatever), it falls down badly.

Has this changed in the past year or so?
TheDavid

But can you have an event with separate timezones for the start and end times? I tried turning on the timezone support in iCal, but it would let me choose only one timezone per event.

Other than that, everything seems to be there.
Aapo Laitinen Send private email

"""However, if you needed to integrate it with (or import/export to Address Book, Mail, Thunderbird, iChat, whatever), it falls down badly.
Has this changed in the past year or so?"""

There's basic Address Book integration - you can drag AB entries to iCal to create events - and the usual .ics import/export/publish/subscribe. Apart from that I think it's roll-your-own; no public Cocoa API like AB, unfortunately (see CALCore.framework), but most of the above are pretty scriptable with a only modicum of teeth grinding via AppleScript (or Perl or Python [1]). Thunderbird I don't know about though (XPCOM?).

HTH
--
[1] See:

http://search.cpan.org/dist/Mac-Glue/ -- Perl Apple event bridge
http://freespace.virgin.net/hamish.sanderson/appscript.html -- Python Apple event bridge
http://homepage.mac.com/philip_aker/osa/osa.html -- basic OSA language components (should allow you to run Perl/Python code as alarms)
has Send private email
Saturday, February 11, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics