The Joel on Software Discussion Group (CLOSED)

A place to discuss Joel on Software. Now closed.

This community works best when people use their real names. Please register for a free account.

Other Groups:
Joel on Software
Business of Software
Design of Software (CLOSED)
.NET Questions (CLOSED)
Fog Creek Copilot

The Old Forum

Your hosts:
Albert D. Kallal
Li-Fan Chen
Stephen Jones

Secure Printers

Anyone know of a printer that requires you to manually input a code before receiving a printout?  Like if you are in a large office and send a document to the printer, I want it to physically force someone to walk up to the printer and type their code and then receive only their printout.
Phil Send private email
Wednesday, February 08, 2006
No, but this would be a cool device to create. Perhaps just include the features in a print-server package. Really cool would be smart-card capable or, even better, RFID.

Until everyone just leaves their RFID tags next to the print server =)

But it would be cool if it started printing as i was walking up, when I got within a few feet. Good printers--and short documents--would be done by the time you got there.
Shane Harter Send private email
I wish this was the case with all printers. Then advertisers wont have the courage to ask programmers to attempt silent printing over the net.
Of course, there should be a method to do the print in a trusted environment without the access code.
Vineet Reynolds Send private email
We use Xerox WorkCentre Pro machines which have a "Secure Print" feature that does exactly what you're looking for.
Jon Curry Send private email
I would think that this would be a nice thing to have, especially in a shared environment. I'm constantly having to put sensitive documents in the shredder all the time because people leave stuff laying around.

Sounds like an excellent product idea. You could do something similar with a print server program.
QADude Send private email
Yeah, I was going to say that some of the larger Xerox printers have this feature.
example Send private email
All larger printers have this feature already enabled. Somebody mentioned Xerox DCs but HP and Ricoh devices have this as well. It is called "private or secure print" and I used it to eliminate all personal printer, even in HR and exec's offices for the lame excuse "we print confidential stuff". Large printers will save 20 - 30% of the cost per page plus they are secure - see a blurb from our intranet:

Secure Printing is a feature of our workgroup and multi-functional printers that allows you to privately print sensitive and confidential documents. Because a personal identification number (PIN) is required for secure printing, the only person who can retrieve the document is the person who generates the secure print job.  This helps ensure that the document is private and secure.

You Can Use Secure Printing in Three Easy Steps! 

At your PC, assign a Personal Identification Number (PIN) to your print job.
Print your document as usual.
Walk to your printer, enter your PIN number on the machine, and pick up your document that was just printed.
Note: Print jobs are not printed until you enter the PIN number at the printer's control panel.
TomEUS Send private email
IBM makes some. Some more expensive models can have locking output bins as an option. The magazine ads showed grouchy folks at their cubicles with the punchline "who left the executive salaries on the printer?"

Oki has something similar for their color printers, but they only have one model.

HP printers use something called SecureDIMM which seems to send encrypted prints to the printer which are only decrypted (and printed) when the user punches ("load pc letter?") in a PIN. I don't think you want their "private print" feature. (pdf with pretty pictures).
>> load pc letter <<

OK, your geek credentials just got a black mark.  It's "PC LoadLetter", and dates from the earliest LaserJets (back when they had single-digit model numbers)

The phrase was also featured prominently in the movie "Office Space".
example Send private email
High-end Minolta printers (the Fiery line) do this. Some of them at least.
Oliver Send private email
>HR and exec's offices for the lame excuse "we print confidential stuff"

Sometimes things really are confidential, you know.

Is it really the best use of your CEO's time to walk down to the printer?

Personally I think everyone programmer should have their own printer but that's just my opinion.
dot for this one
The newer Lexmark printers have this including the 634.

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics