The Joel on Software Discussion Group (CLOSED)

A place to discuss Joel on Software. Now closed.

This community works best when people use their real names. Please register for a free account.

Other Groups:
Joel on Software
Business of Software
Design of Software (CLOSED)
.NET Questions (CLOSED)
TechInterview.org
CityDesk
FogBugz
Fog Creek Copilot

The Old Forum

Your hosts:
Albert D. Kallal
Li-Fan Chen
Stephen Jones

Job Application: Anyone else get this

I just received an email from someone who clearly used the email form on this forum.

Did anyone else receive this?

Below is the email exactly as I received it.
  More options  4:21 pm (1 hour ago)

Dear sir/ma

How is business and the family? Hope fine firstly to introduce my self properly.My name is monsuru salisu a student of layema sign and art computer school which i study the following courses namely

*Computer Graphics
*Colour Sepration
*Printing

I need help of forther my courses in your company, I am a young man of 20 years
I will so mush appreciate if u can help me secure a jod at your side there wich

i asure you i will serve you to any extend you require for this is a little note of acceptance and usharing forward to you.

bye
yours faithfully
Salisu Monsuru
_________
Tapiwa Send private email
Monday, February 06, 2006

You're just plain lucky.
Simon Lucy Send private email

I like this - monstarlovu32@yahoo.co.uk

Is that the name of the next virus or what?
Vineet Reynolds Send private email

I have not seen any other complaints. Often these email systems just generate a whole bunch of email address for a given domain…and perhaps they just got lucky. Often, they take a huge list of one domain, and substitute another….

Since no one else is complaining, or having problems here, then I have to think that this is a luckey shot. I don’t see how there can be harvesting of emails from this site, since they are not public.

Do note that you are encouraged to include email address in your posts. However, they do remain private information

And, In fact, if you don’t include a email and leave it blank, then it is very likely to be deleted, especially if the question has a link to a commercial product.

Albert D. Kallal
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
Kallal@ msn.com
http://www.members.shaw.ca/AlbertKallal
Albert D. Kallal Send private email

"And, In fact, if you don’t include a email and leave it blank, then it is very likely to be deleted, especially if the question has a link to a commercial product."

Because everyone knows that having an email address is proof someone is legit.  I've never understood that policy, i don't even have to put my real email for it to be unfiltered?  If i'm spamming my product, and you email me to verify whether its spam, and i say its not, then what?
Phil Send private email

>don't even have to put my real email for it to be unfiltered?

It is not a automatic process in the above case. The simple rule here is that a anonymous post about a product is more likely to be deleted. Really, nothing more…nothing less on this issue.

Does it prove much?...no. Does it prove that the email address is ok?....no, not really but then it don’t matter much either…

Simply put, no email address means a post is more likely to be deleted.

Albert D. Kallal
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
Kallal@ msn.com

So, maybe that explains why most of my recent postings didn't show up (except for me, that is). I used to include my email address (a unique address used only for this site) with my posts. However, I stopped including an email address when I started getting strange emails in reply to postings here, somewhat similar to the first post above, but with fewer spelling errors. I was wary of replying to these, so I just stopped including my email address.

These messages were sent to me by someone clicking on the "reply to" link and pasting or entering text and submitting it as an email to be sent (NOT by harvesting email addresses from here!).
Philip Send private email

Actually, I just got a spam through the forum too.  Nigerian spammer it appears.
KC Send private email

I received an e-mail from someone named Usama who wants to be my friend.
MBJ Send private email

Note that I said more likely to be deleted. If there is nothing in question in the post, and really no reason to delete, then anonymous posts are most welcome.

Feel free to email me if you think have a spam problem here….

Albert D. Kallal
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
Kallal@ msn.com

Albert, like I said, it was a reply through the forum.

I think I might have received another one many years ago, but through the old forums
Tapiwa Send private email

I didn't get that specific one, but many weeks ago I did get something almost exactly similar. Probably months ago.

And from time to time, I do get a lot of resume email.
Sathyaish Chakravarthy Send private email
Tuesday, February 07, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics