The Joel on Software Discussion Group (CLOSED)

A place to discuss Joel on Software. Now closed.

This community works best when people use their real names. Please register for a free account.

Other Groups:
Joel on Software
Business of Software
Design of Software (CLOSED)
.NET Questions (CLOSED)
TechInterview.org
CityDesk
FogBugz
Fog Creek Copilot

The Old Forum

Your hosts:
Albert D. Kallal
Li-Fan Chen
Stephen Jones

"First draft" idea is lame

I think that the whole idea of having a "first draft" of an article is lame. Just type the thing and post it. Seems to me like Joel is falling into the whole "Beta" trap like google has. Release (or write) whatever the hell you want, and that way you can get away with anything, because it's a "first draft".

Just write the article and update it later if you so desire.
Lachlan B Send private email
Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Sourpuss.  :p

I think Joel is on to something smart.  He's leveraging the collborative power of a Wiki to make his articles (eventually a revised book, it seems) nice and sharp, while still maintaining ownership of the actual content.
Christopher Hawkins Send private email

Why not have a first draft? That way Joel can test the waters can see what the response is on the subject and whether or not it warrants more exploration.  Plus he gets reader feedback immediately and can see what parts he's missed.
Larry

A draft version lets him post like we do:  one or two edits then a post, instead of endless editing.

I WOULD recommend he treat it like a limited beta: don't notify the world when a draft comes out. Let the folks on JOS know about it and comment. Announce the FINAL version.

But... it's his reputation. And it's better than mine, so who am I do advise him ;-)
Mr. Analogy {Shrinkwrap µISV} Send private email

What's "falling into the whole "Beta" trap like google has" ?
Larry Lard Send private email
Thursday, February 02, 2006

I always wondered why so many articles on the Internet, especially the ones everybody reads, do never get updated after they are published. After all circumstances change and the author gains new insights and experiences over time. My guess is that it is probably a thing from the past when publications had to be put on paper to be read.

Anyway the beta idea is a good step in the right direction. Some day Joel will put his articles in a wiki, which only he can edit, while readers can leave comments on the talk page. When it's good enough a snapshot will be send to Amazon.
Jan Derk

Martin Fowler (www.martinfowler.com) does not take care of betas but always updates articles.
takacsot Send private email

I agree the first draft idea is lame... i don't want to check back later for a few corrections.  It sounds like Joel is probably writing his next book in front of us.  The thing i'm curious about is how did Joel become the expert on Design?  That's not what he's famous for, yet that seems to be his favorite subject.
Phil Send private email

The "beta trap" That google has "fallen into" is actually a well-planned business strategy. If you don't understand why, you could, uh, google for it. It's not rocket science.
Shane Harter Send private email

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics