The Joel on Software Discussion Group (CLOSED)

A place to discuss Joel on Software. Now closed.

This community works best when people use their real names. Please register for a free account.

Other Groups:
Joel on Software
Business of Software
Design of Software (CLOSED)
.NET Questions (CLOSED)
TechInterview.org
CityDesk
FogBugz
Fog Creek Copilot

The Old Forum

Your hosts:
Albert D. Kallal
Li-Fan Chen
Stephen Jones

Anyone use Zend Studio?

Looking at their support forums, it doesn't look too promising. Maybe it's just the new version. What other PHP IDEs are good?
MBJ Send private email
Wednesday, February 01, 2006

I've been using Eclipse with PHPEclipse and Web Tools. I wasn't able to get debugging to work, although some people have had success with this. It's still a work in progress, but it has some nice features. And free!
JW

Yea, Zend sucks. I remember their intellisense implementation kept getting in my way.

Check out VS.PHP from jcxsoftware.com

It's excellent.
Shane Harter Send private email

I think it's only been out as a full release for 3 months or so. I remember them announcing some stuff about it at the SF PHP Conference.

No, I don't use it..  Eclipse & Dreamweaver for me.
KC Send private email

Try

ActiveState Komodo.

Recently they gave away free license of Komodo to individual developer.

See: http://forums.slickdeals.net/archive/index.php/t-188577.html

Try your luck, coupon might still work.
JD Send private email

Zend Studio sucks pretty good.

The code analyser is a great feature -- it looks at your code for syntax errors and possible logic errors (it's 'lint' for PHP) but every release of Zend Studio it gets dumber and dumber.  The latest release is so stupid ("this variable that clearly has been used... well I say you haven't used it!  Ha!" that it's almost completely useless.

The IDE is pretty crappy all around.  It's actually less ugly than Eclipse but then that's not hard.  It's written in Java -- not much more to say about it.

The debugger works reasonably well -- I haven't used it too much in the latest version.

The profiler sorta works -- there's a whole lot of negative times in the profiler results which, no doubt, skews the results slightly.  This bug has been around for the last 3 or so releases.

Finally the cost: the price is totally outrageous.  There are plenty of products out there (free or otherwise) that are much easier to use for PHP development.  The few features that Zend Studio has (Lint, debugger, profiler) are the only reason why I have it -- I don't use it for day-to-day development.
Almost H. Anonymous Send private email

Great, thanks for the heads up, guys. I was going to buy it based on what one guy I know said. Glad I didn't.

Looking at their support forums, it appears the thing is very sensitive to JRE versions. Not major version, but minor version.

That's the kind of BS that continues to steer me away from using Java for anything on the client side, especially GUIs. I love Servlets and JSP, but that's about as far as my Java love goes.
MBJ Send private email

Another one to try is phpEd from NuSphere.

http://www.nusphere.com/

@JW - PHPEclipse needs the DBG debugger [ http://dd.cron.ru/dbg/downloads.php ] for debugging to work I think, did you have problems with setting it up? I'm thinking of trying PHPEclipse so am curious to know.
A non mouse

I second ActiveState Komodo, but here you can find much more: http://www.php-editors.com/review/
Berislav Lopac Send private email

I use PHP Designer. It is good. Most of the time I run my code directly with the Apache.
Gordon

A non mouse,
I did install dbg, and followed several of the incomplete tutorials floating around the web. I was able to get it to step through a file, sometimes, but it was unpredictable. It also seemed like I had to reconfigure the debugger for each different file I wanted to debug. It may have complicated things that I'm running my PHP server on a VMWare virtual machine, not in Windows. In the end I realized that I don't really need debugging - it's easy enough to put "echo" and "die" in the right places.
JW
Thursday, February 02, 2006

fyi.. the Komodo coupon code is still active.
Shane Harter Send private email
Thursday, February 02, 2006

"In the end I realized that I don't really need debugging - it's easy enough to put "echo" and "die" in the right places."

Even better -- use TDD.
Berislav Lopac Send private email
Friday, February 03, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics