The Joel on Software Discussion Group (CLOSED)

A place to discuss Joel on Software. Now closed.

This community works best when people use their real names. Please register for a free account.

Other Groups:
Joel on Software
Business of Software
Design of Software (CLOSED)
.NET Questions (CLOSED)
TechInterview.org
CityDesk
FogBugz
Fog Creek Copilot

The Old Forum

Your hosts:
Albert D. Kallal
Li-Fan Chen
Stephen Jones

Question about iPods

Can you rip a CD and upload the songs to an iPod?
MBJ Send private email
Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Yes.
JD Send private email

More specifically you can rip to AAC (which, combined with FairPlay DRM is what comes from the iTunes Music Store), MP3, MP3 VBR, Apple Lossless, WAV and AIFF

I have a mix of all of the above on my iPod right now.
Lou Send private email

Okay, cool. I thought I heard you have to buy from the Apple store and that they only support the AAC format.

Can the iPod handle any bitrate? 320k MP3?
MBJ Send private email

Yes, it looks like the iPod can handle custom settings up to 320.
Josh Send private email

Do they have a line level output? AFAICT, they do not.
MBJ Send private email

No they don't. Why don't you just take a look at the specs instead of using a software forum as your iPod support group?
compilenix

Compilenix, I figured it's better to ask people who actually own them. And several here have said they do. If that bothers you, feel free to stay out of my threads.
MBJ Send private email

"Do they have a line level output?"

Actually they do, but it's part of the docking connector rather than a separate port. There are a variety of adapters available that connect to the docking port and provide power and line out. For instance, I'm using this in my car:

http://www.extremecomputing.com/cmiplisomo2.html

(Note that I have no exprience with that vendor. I bought mine from Semsons, who seems no longer to carry it.)
clcr

Thanks clcr, that's exactly what I was looking for. If I can't hook it up to my home and car stereos, I have no use for it.
MBJ Send private email

You're welcome.

That was actually my main reason for buying the iPod. I wanted a way to listen to music throughout 5-6 hour car trips without swapping CDs.
clcr

iPod docking ports are present in many car stereos and can even be installed as a dealer option.
Scott

My car stereo is 14 years old. 8-)
MBJ Send private email

OK... iPod docking ports are present in many car stereos, but this does not include any car stereos that predate the invention of the iPod.
Scott

Can't you use one of those things you shove into the cassette player?
MBJ Send private email
Thursday, February 02, 2006

You can, but they don't have great transfer of bass.  It's an acceptable choice, but not ideal, especially if you're any bit of an audiophile.

Since you're dealing with an older car stereo you probably don't have too many options there (you can try an FM tuner if you live somewhere where the radio bands aren't saturated).

For people like myself who have newer cars you can usually get an adapter that plugs into the head's aux port (where multi-disc changers usually attach) and have that run out to an 1/8th in mini-jack for the line-in port on the dock.
Lou Send private email

I think the IPod Nano is small enough to just shove into your car's cassette deck directly!

(A joke, by the way. But wouldn't that be cool?)
Impatient Send private email

If you are a bit of an audiophile, you wouldn't be listening to mp3's in the first place.  Not to mention you wouldn't be using a 15 year old car head unit.
Zach M.

A true audiophile knows that the critical component is the speakers, followed by the power amp, and that most heads are about the same.

My speakers are Dynaudio.

Also, it is a car, and road noise cancels out the nuances anyway.
MBJ Send private email

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics