The Joel on Software Discussion Group (CLOSED)

A place to discuss Joel on Software. Now closed.

This community works best when people use their real names. Please register for a free account.

Other Groups:
Joel on Software
Business of Software
Design of Software (CLOSED)
.NET Questions (CLOSED)
TechInterview.org
CityDesk
FogBugz
Fog Creek Copilot

The Old Forum

Your hosts:
Albert D. Kallal
Li-Fan Chen
Stephen Jones

WinFX / VS 2005 / Strategy for next moves

Hey all,

What is the idea behind WinFX/XAML/WPF? I understand that they are new presentation APIs, and I also understand that they are markup, but what is the design goal (besides rounded edges)?

Will Visual Studio 2005 officially support these (which are still in beta) or will we all be "upgrading" our IDEs and knowledge to work with a new set of APIs as early as next year?

Finally, will the .NET 2.0 Windows Forms applications find themselves in the rubbish bin with COM?  Okay, rubbish bin is a bit strong of a word; will Windows Forms have its support silently withdrawn, with all of MSDN's official pathways littered with AVALON/WinFX know-how?

Educate me.
David Seruyange Send private email
Tuesday, November 22, 2005

I am sure that Windows Vista and the .Net APIs that will ship with it will be the next application development standards for the next 10 years. That is, without considering the Microsoft competitors.

You may choose to not use them, but they will rock. Maybe you won't be able to deploy them (because not everyone will have those huge Runtimes and Libraries installed or available to them), but they will rock, nonetheless.

I'm preparing my own libraries to compete well against anything that Microsoft pushes in my direction, but I know it's hard and it will be hard to avoid using the Vista APIs, so I hope I will be able to map to them in the future.

I wouldn't expect a lot of backwards compatibility. The big plus to me will be the unification of the presentation APIs, which will support vector graphics.

Maybe, just maybe, they shouldn't have done it this way. Intel had to abandon their 64 bits only chips, for obvious incompatibility reasons. And if Microsoft could turn back time (in a Cher "if I could turn back time" way), maybe they would have chosen a different path.
Garrincha
Tuesday, November 22, 2005

They're Linux killers basically.

Vista and Office 12 will provide capabilities that attract corporates and home users while VS 2005 and NET 2.0 lock in developers who want to target the new platform.

XAML will let Excel jockets loose on desktop programming, which is quite worrying. But it will be a feature of Vista.
Number 9
Wednesday, November 23, 2005

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics