The Joel on Software Discussion Group (CLOSED)

A place to discuss Joel on Software. Now closed.

This community works best when people use their real names. Please register for a free account.

Other Groups:
Joel on Software
Business of Software
Design of Software (CLOSED)
.NET Questions (CLOSED)
TechInterview.org
CityDesk
FogBugz
Fog Creek Copilot

The Old Forum

Your hosts:
Albert D. Kallal
Li-Fan Chen
Stephen Jones

Eat Pizza, Wear Shorts, Bitch about M$

Why is there such a sterotype of Programmers? Is this how its like in your workplace?

By the way, mine is with extra cheese...
try-catch-final
Saturday, August 27, 2005

eat pizza part is right
Tom Vu

Almost certainly.

I had pizza last night, probably but its been too cold this year and we use Windows 2000 so we've plenty of provocation. ;)
gt

I'm a Microsoft fanboy, so that's out.

I used to love pizza, but I haven't had a desire for it in about six months.

I used to dress sharp business casual, even though it wasn't required, because I wanted to remind myself to be professional. I've since realized that no one gives a crap or thinks anyone where we work is professional, so I started wearing shorts all the time.

So one out of three.
What About Thad?

I eat pizza, wear shorts, and thank Bill Gates everyday for Windows. Without his piece of crap, I won't be making a living selling software!
GinG

Go look at the Myers-Briggs voting results over at http://copesnipers.com . INTP & INTJ dominate, so many programmers do match the stereotypes to some degree.
Nick Hebb

Pizza? The correct term is rotary debugger surely.
Abstract Typist Send private email

BTW, I wear shorts everyday, so I fit that mold. I know tons of people who eat pizza all the time, so that's not necessarily relevant. The M$ thing - I wouldn't know. I avoid hanging out with people who like having the same conversation for the millionth time.
Nick Hebb

Preposterous stereotyping.  I wear jeans, program in .NET, and...well, I do like pizza.
Kyralessa Send private email

Where I work, I suppose you could call it a micro-ISV, only the last part matches. Everyone bitches about Microsoft, only the amount of scorn varies. Other than that... Well, the programmer-in-chief wears shorts, but only because he is a sport nut. Nobody seems to have special affinity for pizza.
Aapo Laitinen Send private email

Berlin Brown Send private email

I don't wear shorts, I DO eat pizza but so does everyone else, I don't hate MS nor do I call them M$ (and yes, you can use Linux more then Windows without hating MS, I do it.).
Sterotypes are stupid and will never represent a whole group of people accurately.
IMesh

shorts are for children, canadian, german, australian, and american tourists. pizza is good and is for everybody, bitching about microsoft is for squares and dingleberries.

Yes. I am hooked on pizza and caffine. You know why programmers have a pizza and caffine stereotype? Because pizza and caffine are simple. Guys are simple. And yes, a large percentage of programmer/software field people are guys.

It's like what Harrison Ford said in Six Days and Seven Nights... "You want to impress a guy? You show up. That's it. We're guys. We're easy."

As for Microsoft, I think it's natural for guys to want to see Microsoft take a back seat. To see Microsoft as #2 in the software world.

Ladies, you know those "sound effects" your guy blurts out-loud to himself? That's him blowing up Microsoft.
Brandon Doyle

Personally, the only pizza I'm fond of is the Grilled Pizza Provencal from Al Forno. Sadly, I'm only able to eat it when my helicopter needs refueling and a stop in Providence is required.

My typical summer staple dish is a bit of roasted salmon, with slow cooked tomatoes, and golden pearls of nutty Israely couscous, enlived with an herbaceous olive oil to evoke the warmth of August. I generally prefix this with a dandelion salad with lardons and goat cheese phyllo blossoms. After the salmon, I like to have a small blackberry buttermilk panna cotta with blackberry compote.

I do try to dress up a bit when I'm dining. During coding,  I try to stay as sharp as possible, but the warm summer months have warranted more of a casual sporting look, rather than my usual bespoke Saville Row suit..

Usually I have my south asian manservant Pradeep select a slimmer cut pair of black Viktor and Rolf worsted cashmere trousers. I then couple this with a Kiton french cuff dress shirt with Asprey cuff links. My 17 year old daughter has convinced me that wearing such a shirt "untucked" is what the younger chaps are doing these days so I've been following her suggestion. Although I find shirt tails a bit too loose for me, none of my colleagues seem to notice, as they seem fond of denim shirts with embroidered logos. A pair of Prada Sport boat shoes (another suggestion of my daughter) completes the ensemble.

After gearing up, I sit down on the Le Corbusier club sofa located my custom carved bubinga-wood cubicle and dictate perfect lines of Common Lisp and Objective Caml to Pradeep. He types in the lines with speed and accuracy on a marble keyboard crafted by Marcelius and Giotto of Rome. I don't use any of the currently in vogue software paradigms, such as unit testing and source control, because frankly, a man of my grooming and stature has no use for such plebian crutches.

As far as Gates and Microsoft go, I'm sure he's a fine fellow but his taste in outerwear is a bit gauche. The Mrs. and I have invited him for a weekend in Catalunya and dinner at El Bulli, but he has not replied.

U B trippin, yo.
sharkfish Send private email

"I avoid hanging out with people who like having the same conversation for the millionth time."

No doubt.  Reminds me of the network/sysadmin at the last place I worked.
Crackhead

>>To see Microsoft as #2 in the software world.

Microsoft is #2 in the software world. IBM is #1. The difference is that Microsoft sells shrinkwrap whereas IBM sells services.
Nick Hebb

A common syndrome on JOS (and other forums I suppose) is that  someone will put a lot of work into a post and come up with something a little bit special .... and then it doesn't get acknowledged at all.

So just so ensure that doesn't happen this time, thanks a bunch to the anonymous poster a few spots above (and his manservant Pradeep :-). Very nice post.
Bill Forster Send private email

I don't think I fit the stereotype as I am not really that into the things programmers normally like.

This is what I like doing in my spare time for instance:
Thursday night
Suicide Girls DVD Launch
http://photos.timchuma.com/SuicideGirlsDVDLaunch/index.html

Friday night
The Green Room (venue)
http://photos.timchuma.com/GreenRoom260805/index.html

Saturday
Spend all day editing the photos from the past two nights and uploading them over slow modem line

Sunday
Back to the pub to see another band.
Tim Chmielewski Send private email
Sunday, August 28, 2005

Don't listen to your daughter and buy that Prada crap.

A nice pair of Edward Greens would be a far better look and
they're much easier to code in.
Not another developer in torn jeans and flip flops
Monday, August 29, 2005

Who the fuck /doesn't/ like pizza?
Needs to be good pizza, mind.
Matt
Monday, August 29, 2005

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics