The Joel on Software Discussion Group (CLOSED)

A place to discuss Joel on Software. Now closed.

This community works best when people use their real names. Please register for a free account.

Other Groups:
Joel on Software
Business of Software
Design of Software (CLOSED)
.NET Questions (CLOSED)
TechInterview.org
CityDesk
FogBugz
Fog Creek Copilot

The Old Forum

Your hosts:
Albert D. Kallal
Li-Fan Chen
Stephen Jones

How many are solveable?

I was looking at Eric Sink's Winnable Solitaire game and it got me to thinking about how many of the games are actually winnable?  I've heard many different theories on this.  I'm wondering if Sinks Solver proves them all wrong?
KI
Friday, October 22, 2004

Ask Eric how many deals he generated to get the 16,000 winnable deals.  Call that "attempts".  Then there are approximately 52! * 16000 / attempts winnable deals.
rob mayoff
Friday, October 22, 2004

I wrote a solver that consistently solves approximately 10% of the decks.  In other words it takes approximately 160,000 deals or "attempts" to get 16,000 decks that are solveable. With the right settings, this takes about 45 minutes on my Pentium III 600 MHZ laptop.

As far as Eric's solver goes... I don't know, but I would think that it probably solves the same or more.

If you really are interested you can (or should be able to) download the solver @

http://solitaire.5u.com/

It produces a file containing the solved decks and the moves.

So how many are solveable?  I don't know... It may just be a matter of writing the "perfect" solver to find out.
Dave B. Send private email
Friday, October 22, 2004

Hey, whatever happened to Erik Sink's pledge to make his sales data public with his shareware "experiment?" He hasn't said anything on his site.
Bill
Friday, October 22, 2004

He sold six copies raking in $42.  All the information is in his latest msdn article linked from his site and here:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/longhorn/default.aspx?pull=/library/en-us/dnsoftware/html/software10012004.asp
chris Send private email
Friday, October 22, 2004

Kevin
Friday, October 22, 2004

Hmmmm, six sales... well, I predicted two on the old JOS site, so that's triple my expectations!
Bill
Friday, October 22, 2004

Solve it backwards.  To generate a winable deck, first start with the end-state...
i like i
Monday, October 25, 2004

i like i, damn amazing how some problems can be dealt with so simply yet (atleast superficially) can seem so complicated.
Jack of all Send private email
Tuesday, October 26, 2004

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics