The Joel on Software Discussion Group (CLOSED)

A place to discuss Joel on Software. Now closed.

This community works best when people use their real names. Please register for a free account.

Other Groups:
Joel on Software
Business of Software
Design of Software (CLOSED)
.NET Questions (CLOSED)
TechInterview.org
CityDesk
FogBugz
Fog Creek Copilot

The Old Forum

Your hosts:
Albert D. Kallal
Li-Fan Chen
Stephen Jones

MS-Windows Dual Monitor wish-list

Wishes:

1. Dialogs would "pop-up" somewhere other that right in the middle of the "great divide" when the number of monitors is even.

2. The ability to maiximize a window to a specific terminal.

Others?
hoser Send private email
Thursday, October 21, 2004

What video card are you using?
0xCC Send private email

Are you using a dual head NVidia card? If so, switch DualView on rather than spanning mode, and your wishes will be granted.

DirectX and OpenGL compatibility is mixed.
Tom_

Its a Matrox G400 dual head.  I've browsed all the settings, but cannot find anything that fits my wishes.

Thanks.
hoser Send private email

It's definately a video card issue and not something with Windows.  I have an ATI AIW 9600 and it behaves the way you'd like yours to behave.
Almost Anonymous Send private email

1) Are you using Windows 2000? This was fixed in Windows XP for me.
Dave

Yeah I never have this problem with XP... it is probably a driver thing.
Roose Send private email

You might want to take a look at this:
http://www.appian.com/why/?page=hydrademo

Not sure it really solves your problem because it would require a new video card...
0xCC Send private email

Ati Radeon VE card under Win98 works like you desire. I haven't tried the dual monitor mode since upgrading to WinXP.
DaveF

It's been a while since I used Windows (2000) but my Matrox G550 behaved like you'd want it to.
Mystran
Friday, October 22, 2004

I can't get the radeon VE to do more than 60Hz on the second monitor.  It's like working with a strobe light in your face.

Is there a way to fix this?

The windows dialogs report 75 or 85 Hz (whatever I set it to), but the ViewSonic P775 reports 60Hz (and my peripheral vision reports 10Hz)
Scott
Friday, October 22, 2004

You could be running into bandwidth limitations.  What mode are you running the monitors at (they could be different)?

One thing the drivers do is limit the refresh rate to 60Hz if they can't detect the monitor that the card is attached to.  The good news is that you can over-ride this.  Display Properties->Settings->Advanced->Displays->Button above your Viewsonic monitor->Attributes tab->in the lower half of the window you can set the max refresh rate and resolution for your monitor.  Make sure the "Use DDC information" button is un-checked when you do this...

Hope that helps.
0xCC Send private email
Friday, October 22, 2004

hoser- If you prefer running in spanned mode there are a number of settings in the Powerdesk tool to control window positioning. If you'd rather switch to Windows multi-display support, make sure that you have v5.51 or newer of the G400 drivers, find the Multi-Display settings, and select "use seperate resolutions/colour palettes."

This whole "Spanned vs. True Multi-display" issue goes back to early driver writers not knowing how to make Windows see two monitors on a single GPU. Making Windows see a single large display was originally a work-around, now it's a feature.
T Bryce Yehl Send private email
Friday, October 22, 2004

"I can't get the radeon VE to do more than 60Hz on the second monitor.  It's like working with a strobe light in your face."

Scott - I run the VE at 1600x1200 at 60Hz on the first monitor and 1280x1024 at 75 Hz on the second monitor. And I have tested it at lower resolutions at higher refresh rates. So I know it will do it.

What resolutions are you using?
DaveF
Friday, October 22, 2004

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics