The Joel on Software Discussion Group (CLOSED)

A place to discuss Joel on Software. Now closed.

This community works best when people use their real names. Please register for a free account.

Other Groups:
Joel on Software
Business of Software
Design of Software (CLOSED)
.NET Questions (CLOSED)
TechInterview.org
CityDesk
FogBugz
Fog Creek Copilot

The Old Forum

Your hosts:
Albert D. Kallal
Li-Fan Chen
Stephen Jones

Online employer reviews?

Hey, I'm in the job market, trying to get out of a crummy situation at my current job.  However, I don't want to walk out of one bad experience and right smack into another, so I was wondering if anyone knew of an online source for employer reviews; i.e. information about dysfunctional cultures, backstabbing politics, work-90-hours-get-paid-for-40 syndrome, or (contrastingly) wonderful, fulfilling experiences.

Thanks!
That guy over there
Monday, October 18, 2004

Understand they are all as bad as each other. Big or small, you will end up hating it.

But there is nothing wrong with that. So choose a new one and work with it as long as you can stand, even if only 8 weeks. Or of course, go on your own.
Dan G Send private email
Monday, October 18, 2004

Erm, you could take a look at http://www.fuckedcompany.com to see which places you should avoid sending your CV to. ;-)
TheGeezer
Monday, October 18, 2004

vault.com is exactly what you need - although it is geared toward large firms with a financial flavour.

You can look at the latest 30 days of the message boards for free.  Though I would take a lot of it with a pinch of salt, after all, (nearly) everyone complains about their job.
Furious George
Monday, October 18, 2004

www.austinjobhunt.com for Austin, TX
MD Send private email
Monday, October 18, 2004

Don't waste your time with bullshit on the internet...Within the same company (esp. at big ones), the situation between different groups can vary immensely.  Some can be great, others horrible.  Just because someone posted a horror story about a company doesn't mean you shouldn't be interested in the position.

To really understand the situation, you need to get in touch with potential coworkers and talk to them off the record.  If they make you an offer, ask to be put in touch with a few potential peers.  See if you can take one out for an after-work drink.  Ask intelligent questions, and read between the lines.
dave
Monday, October 18, 2004

Here's one thing you could try.

At interviews I always get that stupid "What is your greatest weakness?" question (if not "What are your _three_ greatest...").  So I think it's only fair to turn it around.  When the interviewer ends up with "Any questions for me?", I ask "What do you like best about working here?" followed by "What do you think could be most improved about this place?"

At the last interview, for instance, I learned that chances for advancement at that firm were pretty darn slim.  Valuable information, whether I end up avoiding the place or just going in with my eyes open.
Kyralessa Send private email
Monday, October 18, 2004

That's been my standard question during the "do you have any questions for me?" portion of the interview, usually a tough one after the third interviewer in the cycle:

"What do you hate about working here?"

It never fails to elicit an immediate response, and while the answer is always spun to some degree, I can sniff out the areas that tend to make it difficult for me to enjoy work.

Of course, my phrasing is intentionally very emotional and negative, and it's prone to backfiring in the wrong place.  However, that wrong place is another area that I want to sniff out and avoid. :-)
Art Send private email
Monday, October 18, 2004

Art,
Along those same lines, I always ask "How is the team morale?". 

Based on one response its not that useful, but if you are in a couple different interviews you can get some interesting feedback.  It can be very telling comparing how different employees answer this question.
senkodemayo Send private email
Tuesday, October 19, 2004

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics