The Joel on Software Discussion Group (CLOSED)

A place to discuss Joel on Software. Now closed.

This community works best when people use their real names. Please register for a free account.

Other Groups:
Joel on Software
Business of Software
Design of Software (CLOSED)
.NET Questions (CLOSED)
TechInterview.org
CityDesk
FogBugz
Fog Creek Copilot

The Old Forum

Your hosts:
Albert D. Kallal
Li-Fan Chen
Stephen Jones

Virtual Server 2005

Spectacular. If you're looking at doing server consolidation, or partitioning one piece of hardware into multiple devices (i.e. staging QA/UA/Preproduction for instance) this is excellent, and is more persistent and managable than Virtual PC or VMWare (though more competitive with the VMWare server product...GXServer?). Excellent use of web technology combined with ActiveX for the interface.

Anyways it's worth a look.
Dennis Forbes Send private email
Saturday, October 16, 2004

I'm the king of the world!
Saturday, October 16, 2004

Wasn't it: 'Look Ma, I'm on top of the world' and then BOOM!
VPC
Sunday, October 17, 2004

Virtual PC is a low end product that runs on top of the host (Windows or Linux), so it's not even in the same class.

VMWare EXS Server runs directly on the hardware (as I understand it, it's a highly hacked version of Linux), so it's much more efficient. We've found we can put an average of 20 WIndows and/or Linux servers on one machine with VMWare ESX in customer's data centers with no performance degradation.
Tom H
Sunday, October 17, 2004

"Virtual PC is a low end product that runs on top of the host (Windows or Linux), so it's not even in the same class."

So VMWare ships a customized version of Linux to run ESX server on, and you think this means it's direct with the hardware? If Microsoft shipped "Virtual Server Embedded" that included an install of Windows 2003 (albeit with the marketing material removed so it's just "Virtual Server Embedded"), would that somehow put it in the same class? I consider that marketing fluff and it's highly ignorable.
Sunday, October 17, 2004

My problem is this "Excellent use of web technology combined with ActiveX for the interface."

Great more security holes.  Now in a virtual OS.  Thanks Microsoft.
Throwing up arms.
Sunday, October 17, 2004

"Great more security holes.  Now in a virtual OS.  Thanks Microsoft."

The web interface is to manage the virtual machines. The use of ActiveX is no different than deploying an EXE (which is the alternative) and simply makes remote control more integrated in the web application. This is hardly something intended for Joe Public to come in and use your virtual machines, and they've effectively integrated the technologies in a very powerful, intuitive way.
Sunday, October 17, 2004

Having the overhead of a full OS running Virtual Server as a service (along with everything else required for a Windows Server-level OS to run) is a bit much.

Granted, I haven't had the chance to try out VMWare's GSX Server, but I've readin quite a few places now that the overhead is much less.

That said, MS VServer is a good offering, that I'm sure will get better as time goes on.
Greg Hurlman Send private email
Sunday, October 17, 2004

"So VMWare ships a customized version of Linux to run ESX server on, and you think this means it's direct with the hardware?"

ESX doesn't run on the operating system, it *is* the operating system. Like almost all OS's, it multitasks a number of processes. It happens that the processes in this case are other operating systems.
Tom H
Sunday, October 17, 2004

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics