The Joel on Software Discussion Group (CLOSED)

A place to discuss Joel on Software. Now closed.

This community works best when people use their real names. Please register for a free account.

Other Groups:
Joel on Software
Business of Software
Design of Software (CLOSED)
.NET Questions (CLOSED)
TechInterview.org
CityDesk
FogBugz
Fog Creek Copilot

The Old Forum

Your hosts:
Albert D. Kallal
Li-Fan Chen
Stephen Jones

Eclipse IDE for C/C++ programmers?

I have a "sense of the market" question: are there any programmers using Eclipse for C/C++ development?  If so, what do you think of it?
Foobarista Send private email
Wednesday, October 13, 2004

I've used the CDT.

It's a pain in the butt. The indexing was far too slow to be useful, so it's basically an editor with a directory tree attached.

If you're running Linux, I'd suggest KDevelop. Apparently there's a port available for Windows, but I don't know any more than that.
Nigel Send private email

I tried Eclipse for both Java and C++ but it was too slow on a 2GHz system. When I just type some code I hate it when the CPU usage goes to 100%. It is a pity that it's in Java. If there was a similar project in C/C++ (faster) I think it would be the best IDE ever.

Side note: there was an article about some guys compiling Eclipse into native code. It didn't really help.

I think Java makes it cross-platform but also somewhat isolated from all platforms at the same time. What I like about VS is that it feels more integrated into the system (surprise, surprise..)

Offtopic: is it possible to "preload" the Java VM on Windows startup so that all Java programs start faster?
TomA Send private email

Eclipse for Java development runs very well. It's written in Java.
Nigel Send private email

It's slow on windows, unusable on linux.
Which is a shame really.
Craig Send private email

>Eclipse for Java development runs very well. It's written in Java.

I run Eclipse on a 1.8GHz Celeron and it is slow to start up but otherwise runs just fine.

My projects are probably on the small size (10 to 50 files, 25 to 200 classes).
frustrated Send private email

I thought about it for C# code at home, as opposed to just paying the 100 bucks for the IDE.

I am cheap.
Berlin Brown Send private email

Eclipse is a memory hog, I am currently running PoseidonUML and Eclipse3.0.1 - Java 1.5 = 90MB each
 = 180 MB.

But, I still like it.
Berlin Brown Send private email

For C++ there is the CDT plugin, but IMO it is unusable.

For Java, I find eclipse to be on the slow side - usable, but slow. Idea is a way better java - ide.
Dino

Just Eclipse spend 250MB memory from my machine... If you don't have 1 GB memory I think Eclipse must be slow...
Carfield Yim Send private email

1Gb RAM is ok for today RAM prices...
yoyo
Thursday, October 14, 2004

I have tried Eclipes, and the same as everyone else it is just too dang slow.
Personally I use Visual SlickEdit for all my development (though I with they had a plug in for Visual Studio, since my current project insists on useing VS projects for everything). I have the Linux/Windows package and have used it for the last 8 years. Ends up running me about 99.00 USD a year.

For the person looking for a free C# IDE use sharpdev.

http://www.icsharpcode.net/OpenSource/SD/
Lorad
Thursday, October 14, 2004

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics