The Joel on Software Discussion Group (CLOSED)

A place to discuss Joel on Software. Now closed.

This community works best when people use their real names. Please register for a free account.

Other Groups:
Joel on Software
Business of Software
Design of Software (CLOSED)
.NET Questions (CLOSED)
TechInterview.org
CityDesk
FogBugz
Fog Creek Copilot

The Old Forum

Your hosts:
Albert D. Kallal
Li-Fan Chen
Stephen Jones

book recommendations

Can anyone recommend any books similar to 'Microserfs'?
BlankMan
Tuesday, October 12, 2004

There's this book called "Show Stopper: How ...I forgot" about how WinNT was made, and the sacrifices it took from people on the team - love lives damaged beyond repair, broken marriages, lost health....

Nice! Get it. If you liked Microserfs, you'll enjoy this one too.
Sathyaish Chakravarthy Send private email

Similar, how?

That they're novels about Programmers? (Go with Ullman's "The Bug", another Joel recommendation)

That they're about Microsoft?

That they're Gen-X themed (like most of Coupland's stuff)?

Joe
http://www.joegrossberg.com
Joe Grossberg Send private email

A wonderful book was called something like 'I sing the body electronic' which followed a MS team writing a kid's encyclopedia.

Moral of the story: working at MS is hell and they live in a constant state of chaos, but manage to succeed anyway.

Favorite part: where he talks about the way REAL programmers disdain English because its so imprecise and ambiguous compared to C, and therefore write horrifyingly punctuated/spelt Email.
NetFreak Send private email

Coding Slave, maybe.

http://www.codingslave.com
Thom Lawrence Send private email
Wednesday, October 13, 2004

I read 'Soul of a New Machine' about engineers writing microcode for (I think it was) DEC or maybe Data General.  It doesn't matter, some non-microcomputer company.  This book was the first non-glamorous portrayal of programmers/engineers I had ever read (I read this in high school sometime).  Here I am still, somewhat wiser.

I also recommend "Hackers" by Stephen Levy--it's not entirely the same, but it tells a lot of fun stories about hackers at MIT's AI lab, phone hackers, and Sierra's founder Ken Williams and other early game programmers (three parts to the book).  So I actually recommend this book more than the first.
pds Send private email

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics