The Joel on Software Discussion Group (CLOSED)

A place to discuss Joel on Software. Now closed.

This community works best when people use their real names. Please register for a free account.

Other Groups:
Joel on Software
Business of Software
Design of Software (CLOSED)
.NET Questions (CLOSED)
TechInterview.org
CityDesk
FogBugz
Fog Creek Copilot

The Old Forum

Your hosts:
Albert D. Kallal
Li-Fan Chen
Stephen Jones

Shutting off Outlook "beep"

I turned off Outlook's incoming "noise" in the control panel that notifies me that new mail has arrived.  In fact, I turn off almost all of windows "noises". Nothing more irritating that those stupid sounds buzzing and crackling at you.

So instead of being silent, Outlook now beeps the PC speaker beep when new mail arrives. How do I shut this thing up, other than unloading the program altogether?
hoser
Friday, June 10, 2005

Tools --> Options
Preferences Tab -> Email Options button

Then:
Advanced Email Options
and uncheck 'Play a sound' where it says 'When new items arrive in my inbox
SBV
Friday, June 10, 2005

Did you turn off the sound inside Outlook or at the sound control panel?  Did you uncheck all the notification check boxes in the Advanced Email Options window? (Options -> email options -> advanced email options)  What version of Windows and Outlook?  I haven't heard of anything using the PC speaker for several versions of either.  If it gets too annoying you can always cut the wires to the speaker and hope you never need the POST codes...
kero Send private email
Friday, June 10, 2005

How about unchecking the following box in Outlook:

Tools->Options->Preferences->Email-Options->Advanced Email Options->When new items arrive in my InBox->Play a sound
squidward
Friday, June 10, 2005

And if that doesn't work or you want to *really* disable the annoying beep all together, how about using that new-fangled thing called "Google"?

http://www.google.com/search?q=disable+pc+speaker+beep
Ryan LaNeve
Friday, June 10, 2005

net stop beep
B
Friday, June 10, 2005

Excellent, Thanks!

Its an "Advanced Option" - I had not thought of that.
hoser
Friday, June 10, 2005

Its even worse if you're using headphones to try and maintain a flow state away from distracting colleagues.

I usually switch off email altogether when I want to concentrate, but O/L 2002 on my work pc has a bug - it doesn't stop running as a background task and if I've forgotten about it because I switched off the client an hour previously.....
Justin Send private email
Saturday, June 11, 2005

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics