techInterview Discussion

A part of techInterview.org: answers to technical interview questions.

Your host: Michael Pryor

stupid iq test question

ok, maybe i think it's stupid because i don't know the answer. which is least like the other four?

horse kangaroo cow deer donkey

I could argue for multiple right answers but apparently one is smarter and righter than the rest.

kangaroo, unlike the others is a marsupial

cow refers only to a female but the others could refer to male or female

deer does not contain the letter 'o', the others do
WanFactory Send private email
Wednesday, March 29, 2006

You're right - it's a stupid question. Too many perfectly reasonable answers. I've actually heard that the smarter you are, the more difficult these sorts of questions are for you.

Coming up with multiple answers is probably a sign that you're over-thinking it. I used to have this problem a lot with the "what's the next number in this sequence?" questions - there are an infinite number of possible solutions to any such problem, but there's usually only one simple formula (three or fewer terms) that gives the first few numbers in the sequence.

In the example you gave, "Kangaroo" is most likely the answer they're looking for. That's the animal that's least like the others - they're all Ungulates, and the Kangaroo is a Marsupial.
Mark Bessey Send private email

I noticed the question nowhere says the word "animal". I was wondering if it was trying to trick you into thinking animal when you were supposed to look at word length or letters in the words or something.

None.

Everyone is equal. Women are equal to men. A horse and a donkey are equal. So are cows, deers and kangaroos.

I shudder to think that this question even came to your evil little mind... You $#$%^ segregationist.

Aargh! Sorry, shouldn't segregate you by saying that.
Safe Driver. Send private email

Kangaroo hops with 2 legs. Others have 4.
;P
PP Send private email

One can also argue that Cow has 4 stomachs... the list can be endless
PP Send private email

Indeed, it takes intelligence to think up test questions. Too easy to slip into multiple meanings.
Mr. Powers Send private email
Thursday, March 30, 2006

For some reason, the ambiguities in "find the next in the sequence or what else also belongs" don't trip me up nearly as much as "which of these does not belong".

It's almost as if when you give me a set or a sequence, I can find a pattern to match it. This is great for the sequence or what else goes in here questions. But when the question says which does not belong and give me five choices, I come up with a whole bunch of reasonable patterns and cannot figure out which pattern is the one being asked for.
Thursday, March 30, 2006

also the first letter of donkey, 'd', is the 4th letter of the alphabet. 'donkey' contains 6 letters.

4 (value of first letter) is strictly less than 6 (number of letters). the other words do not have that property.
Thursday, March 30, 2006

horse can be divided into exactly two parts: hor and se
where each part is typed on one "half" of a querty keyboard.
Thursday, March 30, 2006

"...each part is typed on one "half" of a querty keyboard."

Deer also has this property ("dee", "r").

Friday, March 31, 2006

... and deer is the only one that might have antlers.
Ron Porter
Friday, April 07, 2006

So far, nobody has found a way to make 'horse' unique with respect to the others. "Contains 'h'" does the trick, as does "Contains 's'".

Now let's imagine that one of the animals was hippopotamous (sp?). That would eliminatte the letters 'h' and 's' from consideration while still making 'hippo' unique in being the only one with 'i'.

Let's further assume that this is the best we can do--that there is no way to make horse 'relatively unique'. Thus being the only one for which there is no 'first order' distinction from the others, it becomes the best choice in having the only 'second-order' uniqueness (meta-unique? How do we even talk about this without filling the page with logic paradoxes?)
Ron Porter
Friday, April 07, 2006

Obviously, none of the others have won the Kentucky Derby. Therefor, the Horse does not belong.
Horsing Around
Friday, April 07, 2006

my answer, as stated above is kangaroo. ask a child which one is least like the others, they would say kangaroo because it has 4 legs.

yeah, these questions are dumb beacuse many answer are valid, but its asking which is MOST unlike the others, so i'm guessing that one will have to think simple like a kindergardener to answer these

...unless the IQ people WANT you to answer something that is not childly simple to show that them how intelligent and complex-minded you are.
Testing
Friday, April 28, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics