.NET Questions (CLOSED)

Questions and Answers on any aspect of .NET. Now closed.

This discussion group is now closed.

Have a question about .NET development? Try stackoverflow.com, a worldwide community of great developers asking and answering questions 24 hours a day.

The archives of .NET Questions contain years of Q&A. Even older .NET Questions are still online, too.

What are your favourite plugins for Visual Studio?

Just wondering what I missing out on! I love codekana http://www.codekana.com/

I'm looking for anything that will make my life easier.

Thanks
James
Tuesday, July 01, 2008

ReSharper is incredibly useful refactoring tool and should make your life useful right away: http://www.jetbrains.com/resharper/

If you use Subversion for version control (and if you're currently using SourceSafe or CVS, I'd consider switching), VisualSVN will show you what files you've changed and allow you to perform svn commands right in the IDE: http://www.visualsvn.com/
Josh Kodroff Send private email
Tuesday, July 01, 2008

GhostDoc - Auto summarizes procedures.
HyperAddin - Comment formatter and auto word wrapper.
Wayne Bloss Send private email
Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Please don't use GhostDoc.  It creates "documentation" by parsing the names of methods, properties, etc.  As such, it's basically useless, since you can just read the method/property name to get that information.

I've used open source products that appear to have been "documented" with GhostDoc.  The documentation is worse than useless, because you waste time going to the page only to discover stuff this:

http://api.castleproject.org/html/P_Castle_ActiveRecord_RelationAttribute_Inverse.htm
Kyralessa Send private email
Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Well that might be a little harsh. I would say don't use GhostDoc if you're not going to configure it and you're not going to add any really useful comments to the simple summaries that it produces.

It's pretty nice for generating standardized help stubs though. However, that's all they are...stubs. You still have to add the useful stuff.
Wayne Bloss Send private email
Tuesday, July 01, 2008

I have moved from vb.net to c# and I really miss the dropdowns at the top of the code window that let me select a control on an asp.net page and give me a list of events etc that they will generate and respond too and generate the code to handle the events.
Is there a plugin that will re-create that functionality. It must be possible a bit, because if you use the designer view you can for example double click a button and it will generate the _Clicked sub.
Rob Mitchel
Thursday, July 03, 2008

Rob,

You can still do this in the C# designer, it's just a little different. Select the control you want, and look in the Properties window. You should see a lightning bolt icon in the toolbar at the top. Press it, and you'll see all the events that the control generates, and can hook them up from there.
Chris Tavares Send private email
Thursday, July 03, 2008

C# also lets you declare the event handlers this way: You type in Control.Event like this:

btnWhatever.Click +=

Then hit Tab twice, and it'll create the event handler for you.  (As I recall, the first tab puts you on the event handler so you can type in your own name for it, and the second tab accepts the name and creates the event-handling method.)

I prefer this method because the event handler wire-ups aren't hidden in the Designer code.  You can put these in the form or page constructor.
Kyralessa Send private email
Thursday, July 03, 2008

Not to spoil the discussion here, but Ive used allot of plugins and "extensions" to VS and .NET and one of the problems I see with many of them is the dependencies they can add to products and solutions, which in turn mean anyone later trying to use your project may need to know proprietary processes and procedures. Not that I too havent used some helpful add-ons. My feeling is that the simpler and more independent any VS configuration is, the less trouble you have later with developers and teams getting up to speed with your configurations.
Ranger
Friday, July 04, 2008

I'm the author and vendor of Codekana. Thanks James for the kind comment. I have also developed and offer ViEmu, a vi/vim emulator for Visual Studio (I also have products for SQL Server, Word & Outlook):

http://www.viemu.com

It's only for a niche, vi-lover audience, but much more popular than Codekana as of today. I'm planning to implement a lot of useful and nifty improvements to Codekana over the next few months, which should make it more widely appreciated.

I don't post often, but I am a regular lurker here in the ?biz group. I learned a lot about going indie from some folks there. Definitely recommended if you're considering the indie rodad.
Jon Send private email
Monday, July 07, 2008

My absolute favourite tool is a VS plugin - NDepend
(www.ndepend.com). Incredibly powerful and well-written tool for exploring the dependencies and connections within any .Net code (especially your own...), on every level from assemblies down to methods etc. Can also be used to easily define any kind of FxCop-style conditions which your code is supposed to satisfy.

Otherwise TestDriven.Net is also excellent, it is a plugin which integrates NUnit seamlessly into VS, including code coverage etc.

A tiny plugin which I use a lot is VS2005RegionsAddIn; another nice one is SourceOutliner, though I think it only comes (from MS) bundled with the incredibly irritating EventToaster, which cannot be switched off :/
not that Joel Send private email
Thursday, July 10, 2008

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics