.NET Questions (CLOSED)

Questions and Answers on any aspect of .NET. Now closed.

This discussion group is now closed.

Have a question about .NET development? Try stackoverflow.com, a worldwide community of great developers asking and answering questions 24 hours a day.

The archives of .NET Questions contain years of Q&A. Even older .NET Questions are still online, too.

What is the best .NET component set?

So I know that best is relative, but can anyone recommend the best windows forms component framework from these companies. I'm looking for something intuitive, relatively bug free and powerful in that order.

1) DevExpress
2) Infragistics
3) Telerik

Any others that stood out in your opinion?
Praveen Angyan Send private email
Sunday, February 03, 2008

We use and are very happy with DotNetBar (WinForms) from http://www.devcomponents.com

Its been recommended on these forums as well...
P. Zimmer

I decided on DevExpress and I couldn't be happier with it. We've used Infragistics and ComponentOne in the past and both of them are bloated and bulky. I haven't heard much about the other one that you listed.

One minor exception with DevExpress is that the "window docking" component isn't as nice as SandDock from DivElements in my opinion. So, for docking windows we still use SandDock, which is a relatively inexpensive product.
Wayne Bloss Send private email

I agree that DevExpress components are outstanding.  I've had very good luck with the products and support and updates are outstanding.  These guys appear to spend quite a bit of time making things "pixel perfect" which really helps to showcase my application.
Grinder Send private email
Monday, February 04, 2008

I am new to this. But we use http://www.componentfactory.com/

the base package is free and I think it is easy to deploy
ImagingLuminary Send private email

We have used the Infragistics grid, docking window, tree, and toolbar. 90% of the effort and payback is from the grid.

The grid is *huge* and has gazillions of options and features. Although the documentation quantity is likewise huge, the documentation quality, on a scale of 0 - 10, is about 4 (the Dot Net API documentation quality being about 7 in comparison). The documentation needs reorginization and quality control. This leads to lots of floundering around and a long learning curve. After 18 months of working with it, I still don't really understand the grid object model.

Some of the best documentation is only available in two-day, $1,000 courses they offer.

They have very useful on-line forums, monitored by employees, which can usually provide answers. When that fails, they have a good system for submitting bug reports (provided you build a sample app to send them, and have a lot of patience to respond to the original reply from their tech support in India that what you see is "by design"). We currently have received one hot fix after about two months turnaround, and we have 5 new bugs in the queue. This with functionality that is several years old.

The net assessment is that we have received tremendous functionality, at the cost of several months of floundering. We couldn't have come close to rolling our own.
Howard

I use DevExpress and Infragistics.

Without question DevExpress is a better product.
nessuno
Tuesday, February 05, 2008

One of the main reasons I got interested in RadControls for WinForms is that I’ve previously used Telerik’s fabulous controls for ASP.NET. Even though they appear on the market a bit late they definitely have something interesting and unique to offer.

RadControls for WinForms are highly skin-able and they have all this Vista-looking animations and other advanced 2D graphics effects – it really looks more like WPF then Windows Forms. Not that surprisingly, they call their graphics layer Telerik Presentation Framework (TPF). It seems they have also taken (from WPF) the idea for the tree of visual elements, including value storing in a bag instead to local fields. Another interesting feature is that all the controls are built from atomic parts they call “Elements“ so the looks and some aspects of the behavior are customized at this element level and independently from the control itself - which is very good for you if you choose to extend TPF. Telerik also provides a standalone app called “Visual Style Builder” which is a utility for your convenience, so you can build new themes or customize existing ones with few clicks here and there – even for your custom controls.

Of course, Telerik has done good job but even though TPF is pushing the limits of GDI(+) it can't compete with WPF. But it comes as close to this advanced rendering as GDI(+) allows.

It can be the perfect choice if you are not willing to go with .net 3.0. Actually Windows form in still the recommended platform for the business-type applications. Since the architecture of the controls seems very similar to the one in WPF, it should be easier to port any apps to WPF, later on.

In the latest versions they seem to have added alternative to all VS2005 toolbox controls and more importantly – a very well performing data grid. This way you can achieve a consistent looking, WPF-like, but highly scalable application –you only need .net 2.0.

And, yes, the support – second to none. These guys are very friendly and even more helpful. I have reported a couple of bugs and all got fixed in their next release! They accept feedback very professionally and do an amazing job to keep the community running in their Forums.

I think they are a definite choice for review.
Robert Darwin
Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Our company use .Net ModelKit Suite by Perpetuum Software LLC (http://perpetuumsoft.com)

We are completely satisfired by its functionality (really great)

Besibes, we've never seen such an excellent techical support from any other company.

To my mind, these guys are the best.
Sindy Mon Send private email
Wednesday, February 06, 2008

I'm using SandDock, SandGrid, SandBar from divelements. While I haven't used anything else, I am quite delighted with them.

Except for the grid they are really easy to use - the grid could do with better documentation but is relatively easy even so.

They all look great, and support have answered all my (numerous) questions by the next day.

Wednesday, February 06, 2008

I have had great success with ComponentArt.
Kevin Raffay Send private email
Wednesday, February 13, 2008

DevExpress is great, but the updates are a little annoying. You have to download the entire package (133Mb), no matter how many products you purchased and never forget to uncheck the trial versions when you update it.
Updates must be simple
Friday, February 15, 2008

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics