.NET Questions (CLOSED)

Questions and Answers on any aspect of .NET. Now closed.

This discussion group is now closed.

Have a question about .NET development? Try stackoverflow.com, a worldwide community of great developers asking and answering questions 24 hours a day.

The archives of .NET Questions contain years of Q&A. Even older .NET Questions are still online, too.

cpu usage on windows

This isn't strictly a .NET question, but this seems to be the best forum for a windows-related technical question.

I'm running a process on a remote server that takes 99% of the CPU on my laptop, but seems capped at 25% on the remote server.  I'm wondering if there is some setting on the remote server that sets an upper CPU limit for any one process? 

I promise that I did google around for this, and I found a related question, but unfortunately, no answer.  If anyone knows, I would greatly appreciate some direction on this one.

Thanks!
gee bee
Friday, January 25, 2008

Does the remote server have 4 CPUS?
Joe Miller Send private email
Friday, January 25, 2008

no, just a single cpu.  I don't know the full configuration, since I didn't set it up, but it's a pretty standard windows machine, 2gb memory I think.
gee bee
Friday, January 25, 2008

it has to be a combination of dual cores and/or hyper-threading so that the server is acting like it has 4 cpus. Then your process will max out one of those "cpus" leaving the rest idle for a total cpu workload of 25%
DJ Send private email
Friday, January 25, 2008

+1 for quadcore or dual-core with hyperthreading.  That has to be it.
Joel Coehoorn Send private email
Monday, January 28, 2008

MS has some new multi-core processing extensions coming out...may still be in Beta at this time.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/concurrency/default.aspx
KooKoo Kachoo
Tuesday, January 29, 2008

You guys are right!  I talked to the sys admin, and it turns out that there are multiple cpus on that machine.  So I was mistaken about the single processor.  That explains it.
gee bee
Tuesday, January 29, 2008

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics