.NET Questions (CLOSED)

Questions and Answers on any aspect of .NET. Now closed.

This discussion group is now closed.

Have a question about .NET development? Try stackoverflow.com, a worldwide community of great developers asking and answering questions 24 hours a day.

The archives of .NET Questions contain years of Q&A. Even older .NET Questions are still online, too.

64 bit question

I am thinking of getting a new 64 bit development PC and I just wanted to confirm that I can still create 32 bit ASP.NET 2.0 (or later) applications?

My clients are stuck in 32 bit land, but I really wanted to get the extra memory, so have to go for 64 bit.

I assume I can just set the "Platform target" to "x86" to get 32 bit, or "x64" for 64 bit? Or, is it more complex than that?
Odysseus Send private email
Wednesday, January 23, 2008

If you are programming in .Net then you can leave the "Any CPU" configuration and it compiles the MSIL to the target platform at run time.
Jared

And remember... it's the OS that has to be 64 bit to take advantage of the 64 bit processor.

I have a 64 bit processor.  But I only run Windows XP (32 bit) on it.  So I don't gain as much benefit as if I have XP or Vista 64 on it.
Eric D. Burdo Send private email

One things that I found by running XP64 and doing 64-bit development in .NET is that there are some libraries that are compiled directly for x86 so they are just 32-bit.  If you have your app using "Any CPU", the app will try to run as 64-bit but will fail to load up the 32-bit assembly.
SteveM Send private email

> One things that I found by running XP64 and doing 64-bit development in .NET is that there are some libraries that are compiled directly for x86 so they are just 32-bit.  If you have your app using "Any CPU", the app will try to run as 64-bit but will fail to load up the 32-bit assembly.

This is a very nasty error and doesn't give you any indication about what the problem really is. So if you find yourself scratching your head, this is a good place to check.
Ryan Smyth Send private email

It definately took me a while to figure it out the first time.  The app would work on one machine and not another.  I had forgotten that the other was a 64-bit OS.
SteveM Send private email
Thursday, January 24, 2008

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics