.NET Questions (CLOSED)

Questions and Answers on any aspect of .NET. Now closed.

This discussion group is now closed.

Have a question about .NET development? Try stackoverflow.com, a worldwide community of great developers asking and answering questions 24 hours a day.

The archives of .NET Questions contain years of Q&A. Even older .NET Questions are still online, too.

Webserver Restarts

Hi,

Recently, I was reading that PG has been doing real-time updates to news.ycombinator.com using REPL. That is, real time updates without actually restarting the web-server. Now that's cool.

Now, I being an asp.net developer, was wondering how could I achieve that while using ASP.NET. I mean App_Start event fires when you modify files on server, when servers hits a memory limit and etc. Another downside is that if you are using asp.net Cache(HttpRuntime.Cache) it will be invalidated if App_Start is fired (Yes, MemCached can work but still). Also, in an application that I'm currently developing I need to find a work-around. I mean is it possible to do live updates without a server-restart in asp.net. What approaches you guys use to or recommend? What's your take on this?

Thanks,
Oltmans
Oltmans Send private email
Thursday, January 17, 2008

Ok... I'll answer both the question you actually asked and the one I think you meant to ask.

You asked whether you can update an ASP.NET application without restarting the web server, which could refer to either IIS or the entire machine. The answer to that is yes, people do it all the time.

What you probably meant was whether you can update an ASP.NET application without restarting the *application*. That depends on what you're modifying and how you're compiling your application. If you're letting IIS compile pages on the fly then you can create and modify individual pages and user controls without restarting the application. However anything that touches your bin directory directly or indirectly, such as modifying files in App_Code, will cause a restart.
clcr
Friday, January 18, 2008

Hi clcr,

Many thanks for the reply. I know I was not clear, I apologize as I'm not a native speaker. Ok, so one last question

>>However anything that touches your bin directory directly or indirectly, such as modifying files in App_Code, will cause a restart.

Why do you think above is a good design choice? I'm not exposed to technologies like PHP, Rails and etc so does that happen in other frameworks too? Thanks.
Oltmans Send private email
Friday, January 18, 2008

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics