.NET Questions (CLOSED)

Questions and Answers on any aspect of .NET. Now closed.

This discussion group is now closed.

Have a question about .NET development? Try stackoverflow.com, a worldwide community of great developers asking and answering questions 24 hours a day.

The archives of .NET Questions contain years of Q&A. Even older .NET Questions are still online, too.

Intro book on.NET framework and C#

I have been in the J2EE world in Programming and management positions todate and I am trying to get a hands on flavor of .NET framework. I am looking for a nice introductory book which can expose me to various facets of the .NET framework(not just C# syntax) and also walk me through building a sample typical 3 tier web application (covering SQL Server, ASP.NET, maybe WinForms, IIS etc).

I tried the C# for Java Programmmers book and didnt really like it.

any suggestions are appreciated.

Rob
Rob
Monday, January 29, 2007

It doesn't walk you through building an app start to finish (I don't know any that does, personally), but I can definitely vouch for Andrew Troelson's book Pro C# and the .NET Framework 2.0'.  Covers a lot of ground; highly recommended.
Chris
Monday, January 29, 2007

Doh!  The title is actually 'Pro C# 2005 and the .NET 2.0 Platform'. Sorry 'bout that. =)
Chris
Monday, January 29, 2007

Apress has a few books worth checking out. Also look at LearnVisualStudio.net.
*myName
Monday, January 29, 2007

+1 for Apress & LVS

The O'Reilly C# cookbook is a good source as well as it shows you specific things with code to do it. Very practical.
Ryan Smyth Send private email
Tuesday, January 30, 2007

"C# Primer Plus" (Sames Publishing) by Klaus Michelsen for reference.
"Expert C# 2005 Business Objects" (APress) by Rockford Lhotka to build a 3 tiered application from scratch.

I haven't seen a book that has both of your requirements.
Hector Sosa, Jr Send private email
Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Another vote for Andrew Troelson.
Iain Holder
Wednesday, January 31, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics