.NET Questions (CLOSED)

Questions and Answers on any aspect of .NET. Now closed.

This discussion group is now closed.

Have a question about .NET development? Try stackoverflow.com, a worldwide community of great developers asking and answering questions 24 hours a day.

The archives of .NET Questions contain years of Q&A. Even older .NET Questions are still online, too.

feedback on WIX

Hello,

I am planning to use WIX to make the install setup of an application. However I do not know if this is a good choice or not. Do you have any feedback with this tool?

Thanks in advance!
TaskyProject Send private email
Sunday, January 28, 2007

I like your « Super Tooltips »: how (using what tool, APIs, or technique) did you do it?
Christopher Wells Send private email
Sunday, January 28, 2007

I am using http://www.skybound.ca/Products/VisualTips/ but it seems there is a problem with this component when using localization. Otherwise this is a good control.
TaskyProject Send private email
Sunday, January 28, 2007

I like WIX.  You might want to look at WIXEdit to use to make the installers.
SteveM Send private email
Sunday, January 28, 2007

Wix is nice, but there's a steep learning curve. It's basically a wrapper around the underlying MSI foundation, so if you need to do anything complex you'll need to learn that too.

That being said, I've done quite a bit of stuff with Wix in the last few months. I'm particularly glad that the Wix file is XML, as it made it very easy to slice, dice, and generate Wix files automatically via script or program.
Chris Tavares Send private email
Sunday, January 28, 2007

WIX in principle is great - I want to see it integrated into Visual Studio as the foundation of setup projects, much like they've already done with MSBuild.
Sam Piper Send private email
Monday, January 29, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics