.NET Questions (CLOSED)

Questions and Answers on any aspect of .NET. Now closed.

This discussion group is now closed.

Have a question about .NET development? Try stackoverflow.com, a worldwide community of great developers asking and answering questions 24 hours a day.

The archives of .NET Questions contain years of Q&A. Even older .NET Questions are still online, too.

Have any of JoSers used PDB files for debugging? I mean how to debug, if given a DLL and associated PDB file?
Startup Geek
Monday, January 22, 2007
Are you using Visual Studio?  Let's say you want to see what's really happening inside a particular method.  You can "set a breakpoint" by clicking in the gray region to the left of the source code, on the first line of the method.  When you run the program from inside Visual Studio, it will stop on this line.  You can inspect variables at that moment in time, step through one line at a time, etc.  I can only guess that the PDB file is used behind the scenes during this process.  If all you have is a DLL and a PDB file (no source code), I don't know what your options are.
Notorius L
Monday, January 22, 2007
PDB files roughly contain debugging symbols related to a binary or bytecode (IL) file -- if you reference them in your app, calling a function or method from that file is no longer a black box: you can step through the call stack and inspect arguments and return values.

Exploring MSDN can lead you to more specific info: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms241903.aspx
Joaquim Rendeiro Send private email
Tuesday, January 23, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics