.NET Questions (CLOSED)

Questions and Answers on any aspect of .NET. Now closed.

This discussion group is now closed.

Have a question about .NET development? Try stackoverflow.com, a worldwide community of great developers asking and answering questions 24 hours a day.

The archives of .NET Questions contain years of Q&A. Even older .NET Questions are still online, too.

CSLA.NET

What do ya'll think of it?
Fevir Send private email
Thursday, January 11, 2007

Like it a lot.
Cade Roux Send private email

Use it. Like it (mostly). I found the learning curve a bit steep, but once I got the hang of things, everything started to flow a lot better. The Codesmith templates make it even easier to use.

Things I don't like:
SmartDate: does funky stuff with Date.MinDate, Date.MaxDate and strings to cope with null dates. It could be just a matter of getting used to it. SQL Server 2000 chokes on MaxDate, so I suspect I'm not even be using it right.

Sorting and Filtering: you can do one or the other, not both (third party enhancement available: ObjectListView).

Deep relational hierarchies: am I the only one in the world that has to model parent/child/grandchild? When hand-coding against CSLA it's reasonably easy to implement this model (although it did take me a while to figure it out). The Codesmith templates simply don't support it at all (our next round of development will include time to make the necessary template modifications).

I still have a lot to learn about using CSLA, but I like it a whole lot better than what we were doing before (gradually developing our own library that would never in a million years come close to providing the features of CSLA).

We also found the book to be extremely useful (Expert C# 2005 Business Objects from Apress).
Ron Porter Send private email

BTW, I think it's an extra $10 for the e-book.
Cade Roux Send private email

My company is using the CSLA for a major project.  It's working really well too because we need Web services and WinForms access to the same business logic.
sensible Send private email
Wednesday, January 17, 2007

A client of mine abandoned CSLA and attempted to write their own framework from scratch.  3 years later they are still attempting to write their own framework from scratch.  You don't have to use CSLA, but DO NOT WRITE YOUR OWN FRAMEWORK FROM SCATCH.
G Send private email
Wednesday, January 17, 2007

I don't like its including everything in BO approach
Tien Do Send private email
Monday, January 29, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics