.NET Questions (CLOSED)

Questions and Answers on any aspect of .NET. Now closed.

This discussion group is now closed.

Have a question about .NET development? Try stackoverflow.com, a worldwide community of great developers asking and answering questions 24 hours a day.

The archives of .NET Questions contain years of Q&A. Even older .NET Questions are still online, too.

SourceSafe guidelines for Visual Studio 2005

I've recently moved to Visual Studio 2005 and would like to know what the most straightforward way to work with sourcesafe is.  As far as I can tell the last MS guidelines "Team Development With Visual Studio (http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms998239.aspx) are 5 years old so I was hoping to get some insight from you guys.

I'm developing a web-based application where I have some vb class library projects and a web site project. Should class libraries and web sites all be in the same solution and checked in to sourcesafe as part of the solution rather than as separate projects?

I've read up and can't for the life of me figure out what the [solutionname].root folder sourcesafe creates is for and whether I should be using it.  Likewise, I see MS has added back Web Application Projects.  I've been using Web Site Projects and from what I've read don't see any reason to switch to Web Application Projects, are there any sourcesafe implications I should be aware of?

Thanks.
bglenn Send private email
Wednesday, January 10, 2007

That solution.root business is fairly well explained in a page on Microsoft's site.  I don't recall the URL, but a bit of Googling should do the trick, especially if you use Googles advanced search to restrict the search to microsoft.com.
John Rusk
Wednesday, January 10, 2007

"the most straightforward way to work with sourcesafe is"... don't :)

Use subversion or similar instead. Life is so much easier.
el
Thursday, January 11, 2007

Don't check in anything that is generated by the compiler: .DLLs, .OBJs, .PDBs, .SUOs, etc.

If you are new to source control here is a good tutorial: http://www.ericsink.com/scm/source_control.html
G Send private email
Wednesday, January 17, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics