.NET Questions (CLOSED)

Questions and Answers on any aspect of .NET. Now closed.

This discussion group is now closed.

Have a question about .NET development? Try stackoverflow.com, a worldwide community of great developers asking and answering questions 24 hours a day.

The archives of .NET Questions contain years of Q&A. Even older .NET Questions are still online, too.

book/article on secure/scalable .net 2.0 systems

anyone know of good books/articles on secure and scalable .net 2.0 applications for the internet?

about to embark on my 1st real internet applications at the bank. up to now, it's been intranet.
Patrick from an IBank Send private email
Friday, January 05, 2007
The last chapter (15 pages) of _Pragmatic ADO.NET_ is "Scalability and Performance" (written in 2003).
Christopher Wells Send private email
Saturday, January 06, 2007
Beware though that _Pragmatic ADO.NET_ isn't too good about security, e.g. it doesn't use parameters to avoid SQL injection.
Sunday, January 07, 2007
If you're planning on using C#, Andrew Troelsen's book "Pro C# 2005 and the .NET 2.0 platform" is a good one.  It doesn't focus on scalability per se, but it delves relatively well into memory utilization and garbage collection, which are two subjects you should understand somewhat decently.  There's also some good stuff on ASP.NET and its out-of-the-box caching options as well that could help you.

Good luck with your project!

Chris Nunciato Send private email
Monday, January 08, 2007
So far I have not really been able to find a good book or even a human resource for scalable .net (specifically C#) web applications. Where I am now we run a web application that is rather decent for load (9000 page requests a minute and 900 DB queries a second which are about 50/50 read and writes) and essentially we have gone through several big firms looking for people to augment our existing team.

I can recommend a great book on general design of scalable internet applications http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/067232699X right now it is required reading for anyone coming onto this application.

Also there are some interesting limits with the ASP.NET memory cache 1.5 GB is what we hit MS swears it should be 3 GB, but no one can get it to work! We think it is something with the overall architecture.

Good luck!
Jeff Send private email
Wednesday, January 10, 2007
I've just been reading for the ASP.NET exam; here's a summary from that book:

1) Use SQL and ADO.NET carefully, as discussed elsewhere

2) Apart from SQL and ADO.NET, you can tweak AP.NET in the following ways:

Minimize session state.

Choose how to distribute session state (in-process, using a state service, or using SQL server).

You can specify (declaratively and/or imperatively) that you want things (entire pages, specific fragments (controls), and/or data) cached in various places (in the client-side browser, on a down-stream proxy server, or on the web server).

Use the Trace facility as a kind of profiler to see how long each step of a page request takes.

Use perfmon (which I know how to do, though I don't know what to do with information such as disk I/O).
Thursday, January 11, 2007
"Moving to ASP.NET", by Harris and MacDonald. It's .NET 1.1 and VB-specific, but really exellent on both scalability and security issues.
Mark Pearce Send private email
Wednesday, January 17, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics