.NET Questions (CLOSED)

Questions and Answers on any aspect of .NET. Now closed.

This discussion group is now closed.

Have a question about .NET development? Try stackoverflow.com, a worldwide community of great developers asking and answering questions 24 hours a day.

The archives of .NET Questions contain years of Q&A. Even older .NET Questions are still online, too.

C# 1.1, WinForms, and Wide Screen Aspect Ratio

My development group recently purchased a laptop with a 15.4 inch wide screen display.  We love the machine, but all of our winform apps look horrible on it.  Everything is out of place, pulled and stretched.  I'm wondering if this is a known problem with winforms or if it's a problem with our graphics card/driver? 

I can't find anything on Google.  Maybe I'm not searching for the right thing. 

Anyone else experiencing similar problems?
Reggie Gardner Send private email
Monday, July 17, 2006

Check your dpi settings - Make sure the size is normal. Control Panel>Display>Settings Tab and then Advanced.

Got bitten by this on my new laptop too.
normal
Monday, July 17, 2006

Sounds like a grahics problem to me.  Nothing should be stretched if you have an appropriate resolution.

It's only WinForm apps?  That sounds very strange.  What is the resolution set at?

BTW, I'm writing this on a widescreen monitor running at 1050x1680 with no problems.
Charlie Williams Send private email
Monday, July 17, 2006

The resolution is set to the native value of 1920 x 1200.  This is on a Dell WUXGA display. 

Every app that I've tried on it appears normal, except for our winform apps.  Well our asp.net web apps don't appear right in FireFox on this machine either, but it's ok in IE.  On other machines they work fine in both browsers.
Monday, July 17, 2006

As normal said - it's the DPI settings (or "Large Fonts"). Most the Dells we get have DPI set to 120 DPI rather than the (previously) normal 96 DPI. Either fix the app or set the DPI back to 96.

In .NET 1.x apps controls laid out on a TabControl don't scale properly with thsi DPI setting - you need to put them inside a Panel first and then set the Panel to Dock:Fill in the TabControl.
Duncan Smart Send private email
Monday, July 17, 2006

Nope, it's not a problem with the DPI or large font settings. 

I'm really confused by this one.  In one of our apps we use the same control 3 times on one form.  Two of the three look normal, the other one is way out of place and all of the controls inside it are displayed incorrectly as well.
Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Apparently your display sizing code adjusts the horizontal and vertical sizing & spacing for your display separately, based on the width and height of the screen in pixels, as relative to a standard 4:3 resolution.

If this is what the Visual Studio WinForms designer gave you I'd treat it as a strong recommendation against relying on the WinForms designer. Otherwise, fix your display code.
Chris Nahr Send private email
Wednesday, July 19, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics