.NET Questions (CLOSED)

Questions and Answers on any aspect of .NET. Now closed.

This discussion group is now closed.

Have a question about .NET development? Try stackoverflow.com, a worldwide community of great developers asking and answering questions 24 hours a day.

The archives of .NET Questions contain years of Q&A. Even older .NET Questions are still online, too.

Google earth from asp.net pages

hi,

I have some positional data that I would like to hand over to Google earth to display, and I would like to do some simple things like change the icon based on some bit of the database, or group points in folders based on some criteria or other.

However I am having a bit of a brain fade as to how to do this... I fear my first guess was to use nested repeaters to build the kml (which is an xml document) and feed that out, however I could not escape the aspx's need to have <html> etc tabs in it. I looked into building the page entirely in code but that looks like a nightmare.

I probably should be using some of the native XML tools but I am very ignorant about xml, and a blast through the books has not shown me a simple solution.

I did do a bit of struggling with the "FOR XML" in my SQL but i did not manage to get that to produce a sensible output either!

Has anyone done this, or seen it done in asp/vb.net so I can steal some code?

Failing that a push in the correctish sort of direction would be nice!

Thanks as ever!
Aidan Send private email
Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Your aspx page DOES not need to have HTML tags - you can get by with very little in the aspx file (usually just the binding directives) and do everything else in the code-behind (and class library you build).
Cade Roux Send private email
Wednesday, July 05, 2006

I've got a sample that I used for a prototype a while back...

If I recall the key was that it implemented IHttpHandler for KML/KMZ type files... So it didn't need the surrounding HTML...

-Matt
Lost in Texas Send private email
Wednesday, July 05, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics