.NET Questions (CLOSED)

Questions and Answers on any aspect of .NET. Now closed.

This discussion group is now closed.

Have a question about .NET development? Try stackoverflow.com, a worldwide community of great developers asking and answering questions 24 hours a day.

The archives of .NET Questions contain years of Q&A. Even older .NET Questions are still online, too.

Team Foundation Server - anyone using it?

This is a little off topic, but does anyone have any thoughts on their experience using Team Foundation Server Beta 3?  I wrote my own thoughts here:

http://www.xanga.com/monsur/428990115/team-foundation-server---some-issues.html

As you can see, I haven't been too pleased with the experience.  However, the blogosphere seems pretty quiet on TFS.  Either my problems are a freak occurance, or people aren't trying TFS, or they just don't write about their experience.  Any thoughts?
Monsur
Wednesday, January 25, 2006

There are tons of TFS blogs - of course, they're mostly by people on the TFS team.

TFS being part of Team System, which is in the price band that sits firmly in enterprise territory, most of those evaluating it are developers in big corporates, who are less likely to blog or be visible in the community.

FWIW, I've played with every TFS release and I like the general thrust of the product, but deploying it into a team and doing the work to fit it into your process is going to be a major project in its own right. No-one has really had time to do that yet.

The pricing, IMHO, is a big mistake.
.NET Guy

+1 for pricing mistake, I think Microsoft is completely bonkers with that.
No small to medium software shop is ever going to throw £35K at each developer to use tools that are available (albeit with slightly less power) with Open Source software (or reasonably priced commercial one).
The whole "you buy eveything or nothing" is a big mistake too, some people might be very attracted by the test suite (for example) yet wouldn't want any of the rest (they might already have a perfectly decent Source Code Control system with history they wouldn't want to lose). For those people, paying £35k per head for just the testing system is simply out of the question.
So no granularity in price.
The level of pricing himself shuts out every single customer who doesn't have millions to spend (did someone say everybody but Microsoft themselves and a few big players who might use IBM's or OSS anyway ?)
Honest, in a few month time, I would really like to see sales figure for Team Server, I think this is going to be quite a fiasco.
LizardMan Send private email

> £35K at each developer

Actually, I suspect most developers would be happier with cheaper tools and more salary ;-)
Arethuza Send private email

That's right. I have a shop of 6 developers and although we plan on moving to 2005 here pretty soon, I cannot justify the cost in setting up the team foundation server.....exactly how does that go????
Yeah ummmmm I want you to spend $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ so that I will be able to manage my developers better and in general have less stress in my life:0p
Arie Jones Send private email
Monday, January 30, 2006

Hey guys,

My name is Eric Lee and I'm the product manager for Team Foundation Server.  A product manager is basically a conduit between pure marketing and our development teams. I joined this team just over a year ago after spending about 6 years at Microsoft as a developer.

One of my colleagues pointed me at this thread.  I was just reading a book that mentioned Joelonsoftware :)

I want to see if I can address some of the issues being raised on this thread.  First off, our Visual Studio Team System pricing is a bit complicated; apologies for that.  VS 2005 introduces a bunch of changes - we re-branded MSDN, added Team System and added Express.  All of this created some unfortunate confusion.

I saw one post that I wanted to comment on.  Team Foundation Server - a key aspect of Visual Studio Team System - is being priced at $2799 USD retail pricing.  One installation of Team Foundation Server supports up to 3500 users.  To access Team Foundation Server, you need a CAL that retails for $499 USD.  Visual Studio Team System SKUs (ie. VSTE\Software Architects, VSTE\Software Developers, VSTE\Software Testers), that CAL is included.  If you are using Visual Studio 2005 Pro/STD or something else, you would need to purchase the CAL.

Establishing pricing and licensing for a new product is very difficult as you can probably imagine.  We do our best, but we don't always get it right immediately.  We do try to accomodate customer feedback as best as we can.  For example, our Team Foundation Server Workgroup Edition (supports 5 named users) was created purely from customer feedback.

Anyways, just wanted to get in touch and let you know someone from Microsoft is listening and concerned.  I'll keep an eye out for more posts.

Thanks!

Eric.
Eric Lee Send private email
Thursday, February 02, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics