The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Good UI for contact managment?

I'm currently prototyping some UI concepts for a contact management application I'm working on.  I'm a fan of Spolsky's "UI Design for Programmers" and I started by sketching out an Outlook 2003 style interface since applications with this look/feel are already familiar to potential users.

Still, Outlook is an email client first and a contact manager second.  User's live in the folder view of the new Outlook bar.  I'm not using a heirairchal approach to organizing contacts, so this feels like a possible waste of real estate.  Does anyone have any examples of CM applications they think might be worth checking out?
Send private email
Wednesday, March 23, 2005

I happen to like SugarCRM.
KC Send private email

I looked at a couple a while back (Goldmine, ACT) and IIRC they both were pretty outlook-ish. Anyhow they had good free downloads.

We modelled our entire app (not CRM) around Outlook, I think it works pretty well for situations where you are doing a lot of different functions (eg. not just editing a document a-la Word).
NetFreak Send private email

Consider getting a free trial of salesforce.com as research.
It's a CRM-centric HTML-built interface that gets the job done.
Carl Roach Send private email
Thursday, March 24, 2005

Rather than copy what others did, which often was copying what others have done, I think its more productive to focus on what problem your app solves better and what interface would make the most sense to your potential users.

Also, an interface for programmers should not be the same as one for plumbers: who is your market and what how do they think?

My 2.5 cents.
Bob Walsh Send private email
Friday, March 25, 2005

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics