The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Joel Interview & VBScript

Most of the Joel Interview was just rehashes of his web site, but an interesting part was where he said FogBugz is written in VBScript and they wrote a 'compiler' that emits PHP thus making it run on 'any' platform.

(Elsewhere in these forums people claim it's C++, and I was under the impression it was VB6).

Anyway I imagine this imposes some horrifying limitations, but... that's a clever way to avoid vendor lock-in!
NetFreak Send private email
Tuesday, September 28, 2004

I think it was written in all three., depending on which was most suitable for the task in hand.
Stephen Jones Send private email
Tuesday, September 28, 2004

I don't really think it is a "compiler", more likely to be a "translater", that takes a set of source files, transforms them and spits out a new set of source files.

Anyone who has used FogBUGZ will see that the source is pretty trivial*, so translating that is hardly a big reach.

A more impressive task to work on would be something that can translate any arbitrary .asp project into PHP, et al. This would be an interesting product in itself and may well raise more revenue that the PHP versions of FogBUGZ.

* Don't get me wrong here. This is not a critisism, it is a complement. The value of FogBUGZ is in the fact that it is so simplistic.
Nemesis
Wednesday, September 29, 2004

> I don't really think it is a "compiler", more likely to be
> a "translater", that takes a set of source files,
> transforms them and spits out a new set of source files.

What do you think a compiler is?
Matthew Lock Send private email
Wednesday, September 29, 2004

Yeah, okay, you got me there, a "compiler" is a transformation engine, but I was thinking about "compiler" in the sense that it takes the .asp pages and spits out executable PHP.

This is probably an incorrect assumption, and I am not using the word in its strict literal form, rather in the ignorant "it turns source code into executable code" form.
Nemesis
Thursday, September 30, 2004

Matthew Lock Send private email
Thursday, September 30, 2004

I sure did, thanks Matthew Lock !!
NetFreak Send private email
Friday, October 01, 2004

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics