The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Data model question: How to test?

After I am done designing data model to my heart content, What is the best way to test it if all the tables would work together as intended.

So far, what I have done is, to populate the tables with test data, and kind of visualize if all the keys would migrate and correspond correctly.

Are there any tool out there for this process?
data
Friday, March 18, 2005

Start building the app?

Seriously you should already have an idea of what you want out of the system. You should try building these views against you data model. Like "List all customers with orders in the last 6 months." or "Show me all sales of products xyz"

If those queries show you the correct results AND are relatively straight forward to create (ie don't use temporary tables or require 20 table joins) then you are on the right track.

As soon as you start jumping through hoops to get data out of your database it most likely points to some design problem.
DJ
Friday, March 18, 2005

Use a code generator like LLBLGEN to build a DAL.  Then write a small test program to test your assumptions. You should be able to unit test this as well.
Sassy Send private email
Friday, March 18, 2005

And don't get all complicated because you can.  I am all for tightly couple databases.  If you can work static information into your code as opposed to your database.  Do it in the code.  I am tired maintenance on poorly designed data systems and the lack of flexibility with SQL(and ORM)

...Runs for cover..
Berlin Brown Send private email
Tuesday, March 22, 2005

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics