The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Is C# capable of creating reports?

Is C# capable of creating reports like Delphi and PowerBuilder? thanks.
j2e
Thursday, March 17, 2005

Well, you can open OS files and write text to them, and of course you can be as fancy as you want with PostScript or whatever. I believe, though, there's nothing in the .NET framework to specifically supports any of it. Unlike, say, the aggregation functions in SQL or the report building type stuff in Crystal, etc.
NetFreak Send private email
Thursday, March 17, 2005

Some reporting solutions for C#. 

1. Crystal Reports. Probably avoid this one.
2. www.datadynamics.com
3. www.devexpress.com

There are plenty more. Try google.
Craig - Get Folio First Send private email
Thursday, March 17, 2005

You might like to have a look at ActiveReports.
John Rusk Send private email
Friday, March 18, 2005

...which is a reporting engine for .NET/C#.
John Rusk Send private email
Friday, March 18, 2005

SQL Server Reporting services work great, but you will of course need to be using SQL server.
Kent Send private email
Friday, March 18, 2005

I worked in a pre .net project which very successfully used ActivePDF to generate pdf based reports.  It was a web app but I remember the component being freely redistributable to the desktop.  I remember those working with it being extremely happy with it because it was far cheaper then adobe and performed better on the server.

I believe they have .net components now.
Ian Send private email
Friday, March 18, 2005

A happy customer says: www.stimulsoft.com
Mark Smith Send private email
Saturday, March 19, 2005

Visual Studio 2003 comes with Crystal Reports functionality.

Also, you can use Microsoft Reporting Services - which is free if you have a SQL Server license. It does NOT require the data for the report be in SQL Server (it could be in any Ole DB source) but it will use SQL Server to store the report configuration and metadata.
Andy Babiec Send private email
Sunday, March 20, 2005

I'm evaluating Report Sharp Shooter ( http://www.9rays.net/ ) and I'm very impressed. Easy to use, powerful and good price.
Jose Gonzalvo
Tuesday, March 22, 2005

http://www.codeproject.com/useritems/xml_xsl_report_winapp.asp

How to create a report from XML, format it using an XSL style sheet and display the report in Internet Explorer, all done without saving anything to file.

Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Visual Studio 2005 will include a reporting component that's free to redistribute and doesn't require SQL Server.  If it's anything like the prior versions of reporting services, it'll be pretty nice...
Bill Carlson
Wednesday, March 30, 2005

I hadn't heard about that. Thank God! I really need to get my hands on the VS 2005 CTP. I've been waiting because I haven't had time to mess around with it yet. This may be the reason I have been waiting for. Is this new reporting capability in the February CTP of VS2005?
matt
Wednesday, March 30, 2005

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics