The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

C# refactoring tool

I'm looking for recommendations for an open source refactoring tool. My company is cheap or else I would just go out and buy one! Thanks.
Lord Byron
Thursday, March 17, 2005

Get ReSharper, it's not free, but it's worth the price
Ayende Rahien Send private email
Thursday, March 17, 2005

I second the comment about Resharper - worth every penny.  Look at it this way, Resharper costs US$99.  Where I live, that's about the same as what most software consultancies charge for 1 hour of billable programming time. It doesn't take long for a tool like that - with lots of productivity boosters over and above refactoring - to save a total of 1 hours time.
John Rusk Send private email
Friday, March 18, 2005

I use ModelMaker Code Explorer with Delphi and it's very good.  Cost is about $130 given current exchange rates.  There is an analogous version for C# VS.NET:

http://www.modelmakertools.com/code-explorer-vs/index.html
Herbert Sitz Send private email
Friday, March 18, 2005

Sorry, missed the 'open source' requirement in original post.  Still, I doubt whether you'd find any open source tool remotely comparable to MM Code Explorer, or, I assume, to Resharper.  Please let us know if you do.
Herbert Sitz Send private email
Friday, March 18, 2005

Third the Resharper tool. Very nice.
moron
Friday, March 18, 2005

Thanks to all. I'm evaluating Resharper.
Lord Byron
Friday, March 18, 2005

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics