The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

LGPL question

It is pretty straight forward that if I use an LGPL library, I don't have to open-source my code so long as I "use" the library as is.. Easy enough.

What if I need to do:
a) Modify the LGPL code because it has a bug. (I'll of course make the bug fixes available to everyone).

b) Modify the LGPL code in order to get it to work with my code, but fundumentally leave the LGPL code alone otherwise. I don't really want to modify the hell out of it. Just tweak it I guess...

If I do either or both, does that mean I have to open-source my code as well or are these allowed? I am guessing a) is OK to do since whatever is fixed will become the defacto library that I can just link to "as is". I am not so sure about b) though.

Any comments are appreciated. Thanks.
Tuesday, March 15, 2005
The LGPL licence relates to the work covered, if your work is entirely separate and only connects to it as a call to it then your own code isn't affected.

If you insert interface code into the LGPL work then you have to make that available to those that use your distributed work.  You don't necessarily have to publish it to some central repository for the LGPL, though its a reasonable thing to do.
Simon Lucy Send private email
Tuesday, March 15, 2005
I have no problems with releasing the code changes I make to the LGPL library whether they are bug fixes or enhancements or whatever. I do, however, have problems with having to open up my source code...
Tuesday, March 15, 2005
..then don't worry; you don't have to.  LGPL only covers the library (and modifications to the library) and not to your code base.

So if you modify the library you would, at worst, have to give those modifications out if somebody asked you for them.  As for your product, you're safe.
Almost Anonymous Send private email
Tuesday, March 15, 2005
One other issue with LGPL is the stipulation is that anyone at any time should be able to come along and recompile a newer version of the LGPL library (assuming that newer versions don't explicitely break backward compatibility) and be able to use your program with the newly compiled version or be able to recompile/relink your program with the newer library. 

You can get around this by dynamically linking with the LGPL library so that it won't affect your code at all.
Zekaric Send private email
Wednesday, March 16, 2005
Side question:

Does anybody have any experience with the Mozilla Public License.  Isnt it similar to the LGPL.  It seems like the MPL is similar but you must have more communication with the developer.  For example, I think you have to notify if you use the work as closed source?
Berlin Brown Send private email
Tuesday, March 22, 2005

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics