The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

VB distribution of app

Our company develops MFC apps which are statically linked. Now we want to provide a demo of some little side-app which we wrote in VB. Is anyone familiar with the following, keeping in mind that we have never even developed in VB before a week ago:
1) Is it required to deploy VB runtime to Win2k+ computers?
2) Can we comfortable assume that all developers would already have the VB runtime (our target audience is developers, so I doubt any are using Win98 on a clean system for the install)?
3) If we do need to deploy VB runtime, does is simply involve copying the relevant DLLS to the system32 directory, or something more?
VB_Clueless
Monday, March 14, 2005

AFAIK

1) Yes.

2) If they have a plattform installed that includes the files. I would put them into the setup anway. They are not that big.

3) You need to regsvr32 them.

Here is a link to the download page:  http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=7b9ba261-7a9c-43e7-9117-f673077ffb3c&displaylang=en .
Torsten Schulz Send private email
Monday, March 14, 2005

Another one lured to the dark side.  How much longer is this going to continue.
Crazy Old Guy
Monday, March 14, 2005

"Another one lured to the dark side"

we've got death star

Monday, March 14, 2005

"There is another..."  VB.NET, anyone?

I know, I know, go to C#, Luke.
AllanL5
Monday, March 14, 2005

>> 1) Is it required to deploy VB runtime to Win2k+ computers?

The VB5 runtime ships with 98+. The VB6 runtime ships with W2K+.

>> 2) Can we comfortable assume that all developers would already have the VB runtime (our target audience is developers, so I doubt any are using Win98 on a clean system for the install)?

See above.

>> 3) If we do need to deploy VB runtime, does is simply involve copying the relevant DLLS to the system32 directory, or something more?

Look on MS' site for the EXE that installs the runtime in case you need it. You'll also need to provide OCX's if your app uses any.

Some infos on installing the VB runtime manually:

http://nsis.sourceforge.net/archive/viewpage.php?pageid=47
Fred
Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Liam Send private email
Saturday, March 19, 2005

Robert French Send private email
Wednesday, March 23, 2005

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics