The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Anyone use RationalRose

Just wondering if anyone here uses the Rational Rose UML designing products, and whether their organization uses it for all their cases. Also wondering if you know of any whether it can generate pdf report output. Thanks.
Sunday, March 13, 2005
Crap. Expensive crap.
son of parnas
Sunday, March 13, 2005
Used. Past tense.

Terrible product.

Flava Flav!
Flava Flav
Monday, March 14, 2005
Agree with the other posters, but Rational Rose is now rebadged as "IBM Rational Software Architect", so it may have improved. However, IMHO, a major cause of software project failure is inappropriate use of modelling tools.
Marcus Price Send private email
Monday, March 14, 2005
Strange. I am using Rational Rose and it works very good for me. Clear interface, good features. It's simple, but just for UML modeling.
Michael Send private email
Monday, March 14, 2005
Last version I used was RationalRose98. Decent. Horribly overpriced. Think of it in terms of a car: "is this software so useful that I can live without a car?" (because that is how much it is going to cost you).
Monday, March 14, 2005
Yes.  Used in the past (Rose98).  Very expensive (company bought it).  Tool got in the way more often than it did useful things.  UMLStudio much better (much cheaper, much more flexible, actually DOES 'round-trip-engineering').
Monday, March 14, 2005
Thanks for the feedback. Could someone comment on the reporting facilities of Rational Rose XDE Developer? (i.e. can a documented pdf be created asily? Is the report produced pwerful/useful?)
Monday, March 14, 2005
IBM has trial versions.

Last time I was at CompUSA, they had some book on Rational XDE on the remainder shelf. Book was $20-$25.

Only *you* can decide that a $5,000+ piece of software is worth your time and money.
Monday, March 14, 2005
I've used Visual Paradigm and Poseidon for UML diagrams. They have free versions available (although they don't have everything enabled), but I think VP exports to PDF.

I've heard nothing good about Rational.
Anonymous coward
Monday, March 14, 2005
Their support/customer service used to be a horror show, not sure how this has changed since IBM got involved.
NetFreak Send private email
Monday, March 14, 2005
Our company spent thousands of dollars per license for about 5 floating licenses a couple of years ago. They even flew someone out to our office to show us how to make UML diagrams with it. It seemed horrible and those in the office familiar with Visio were amazed at how little it provided in comparison for about 10 times the cost.

Luckily, I never had to use it.  :)
Friday, March 18, 2005

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics