The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Designing Industry Database App.

Hi,

A government department has contacted me for developing a software which is soon to become country standard. The department is concerned with maintaining records of all the industries in the country which are scrutinized by the government from time to time to check whether they are following all the norms or not. The department is presently creating a layout of all the points to be included in the software.

The concerned officer, in the very first meeting itself, put his choice for using Oracle as the database. He gave general guidelines on what the database will store. The database will store records of about 5 lakh industries in the whole country which work under government guidelines. The department will supply this new standard to all the industries and they would be ordered to maintain records as needed by the software.

The database will consist of: Industry Technical Specifications, Maps, Images, Articles, Monetary Details,Reports and Analysis etc.. The database would then, later, be stored in servers so that it is accessible to all from a centralized location. Even if some experts want to submit conclusion or want to give expert advice on the industry working, they can write 4-5 pages of articles and that too would get stored in the database.

I have never developed such a big software before, but I don't want to miss the opportunity with this one. We have started hiring smart people who will set the ball rolling. Before the work starts, I want to get expert advice from you on how to proceed and also get my following queries answered:

(1) The department is insisting to use Oracle 10g, the latest release. What's special about this release and which edition to use?

(2) Presently we are planning to use VB.NET or JAVA as front-end. Any more suggestions?

(3) Since the database would consist of Images, Maps and Articles, it is obvious that it's size would be bulky. How to better handle this type of situation and what needs to be considered before the creation of database starts?

(4) We have worked more on MS SQL Server because of its ease of use and better integration with VB.NET. What about Oracle?

(5) What to see while hiring programmers for the job and what other skills would be needed?

Regards.
K Send private email
Friday, March 11, 2005

K, perhaps you would consider outsourcing this project to the United States of America, or Europe, where they have many skilled IT people, who could undertake this job easily.

When you say "5 lakh industries", you should probably say "500,000 industries", as people in the west may not understand that lakh is 100,000 in Hindi.

As far as the project is concerned, it sounds quite trivial, from your description, so I don't kow why you're stressing over it.

Friday, March 11, 2005

Wow! You know nothing and you still got the contract.
Pythonic Send private email
Friday, March 11, 2005

"Wow! You know nothing and you still got the contract."

I thought that was a requirement for getting a government contract.
Deborah Miller Send private email
Friday, March 11, 2005

>>"I thought that was a requirement for getting a government contract.

Not really. As I wrote above, I did most of the small to midsized projects in SQL Server. But with this one the department I talked about insist on using Oracle.

I just wanted to know your opinions on both the databases and their pros and cons for such a big project.
K Send private email
Friday, March 11, 2005

You should be using MySQL. It's faster than Oracle, and doesn't have all these transactions, and other bloat no one needs. As for front-end technology, have you tried JavaScript?
John Doe
Friday, March 11, 2005

John,

Yes, MySQL is a good choice but I have never heard of it of use in large databases. And what about its security issues?
K Send private email
Friday, March 11, 2005

As there's nothing like any transactional isssues, it's basically a resource to look up once data has been collated, something like Oracle is probably over engineered for the task.

But if they're specifying Oracle, sobeit.
Simon Lucy Send private email
Saturday, March 12, 2005

In case you use Oracle, please don't choose Windows box.
I got bad impression using Oracle on top of windows platform.

Large databases application like ERP,etc tend to use Oracle as the dbms, so choosing Oracle might be a safe option.
Aspiring Enterprise Architect Send private email
Monday, March 14, 2005

They're probably taking Oracle backhanders, or have a "believer" at the helm. Seems to be pretty common in Gov projects, even in Europe. Public money is easily spent, I guess.
Just me (Sir to you) Send private email
Wednesday, March 16, 2005

C'mon on guys, play nice... God forbid anyone of the regular readers here posts a question :-)

BTW, MySQL works quite nicely with large datasets.  I use it in a custom "Do Not Call" app for storing the 80+ million rows of DNC data.  (sure it is just two fields, but what a zippy search for the number of rows)
Dennis Bottaro Send private email
Thursday, April 07, 2005

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics