The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Design of a .NET Windows Service Monitor

Hello-

I have a windows service that monitors a MSMQ queue.  When a command arrives, it fires up and does some processing.  It takes several minutes to process and can service several processing attempts concurrently.  What I want to create is a small Windows app that will live on the system tray that can report on the current activity of the service.  I'm envisioning something like the CruiseControl.NET CCTray app or the Sql Server Service Manager.  The main difference is that my monitor will show current and recent processing tasks.

The purpose of my post is to solicit ideas regading how to have an external app connect to the service to then retrieve real-time information regarding what is going on in the service.  My initial thought was to use remoting to subscribe to some sort of change event generated by the service, but I'm fairly unfamiliar with .NET Remoting and unsure of the implications of not hosting it via IIS.  Maybe there's a completely different approach to take?  Any ideas?

Regards-
    Eric
Eric Marthinsen Send private email
Thursday, March 10, 2005

Newsgroups seem to indicate that remoting is the preferred / common method. Other option seems to be an ATL interop assembly to talk to the service. A Windows Service is also a COM server, I beleive.

this is what you may be looking for.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpguide/html/cpconcominteropsamplenetclientcomserver.asp
Sassy Send private email
Thursday, March 10, 2005

Remoting without IIS works fine. Can I recommend Ingo Rammer's Advanced .NET Remoting as a good reference.

Rich
poorHouse
Friday, March 11, 2005

asd

Tuesday, March 15, 2005

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics