The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Workflow - open source software packages

any suggestions as to most suitable - under whatever criteria you would think - Open Source software for Workflow implementation.

We're not in that sector at all, but have an 'opportunity' with a large prospective customer and rather than walking I would prefer to investigate using one of these open source workflow engines and integrating into our application.

At the minute we don't have any developer with experience of such an area, but would plan to hire 1-2 people with such experience and let them at it. However before then we need to construct suitable proposal for client ... we won't hire unless we get the contract.

Hopefully not an impossible request ?

Possible leading contenders would seem to be -
Enhydra Shark,

Maybe others would be suggested ?
Yendor Send private email
Thursday, March 10, 2005
Why limit yourself to Open Source? Your client would probably be willing to pay for a commercial product.
Anony Coward
Thursday, March 10, 2005
On the assumption that the Open Source software
was sufficiently mature and feature-rich was
expecting to be able to integrate with our
existing application - and not have to pay
someone else for their product and then get
into the normal ongoing back-and-forward of
change and new requirements.

We saw using OpenSource as preferable to using
a 'partner' of some sorts - keeping it in house
would allow us retain some level of control!!

Maybe not though if OS is not the way most people
who are in this space would recommend ...

Yendor Send private email
Friday, March 11, 2005
You may also like to check out JBPM. I have found it to be one of the more mature Workflow Packages.

One thing to note - the word workflow means different things to different people. I would advise trying to find out exactly what your client really means when they say workflow. I believe what most people really want it something like a task assignment system - effectively a glorified todo list. If this is the case, then JBPM and the other packages you list are not really going to help you.

Good Luck!

Nigel Ramsay
Nigel Ramsay Send private email
Sunday, March 13, 2005
Wednesday, March 16, 2005
What about Zope, IKAARO, Plone?!
Tuesday, March 22, 2005

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics