The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Program icon

When does it make sense to change program icon between program versions?

Is there some kind of official (Microsoft or Apple) recos on this?  Not official?

Thanks.
Denn
Thursday, March 10, 2005

Well, in my opinion it's mostly a marketing issue. You know, the `new image' stuff. They have to give the graphical department something to do :-)

The only situation in which you _must_ change your icon is when there's a big 1.0 on it :-)
Szeryf
Thursday, March 10, 2005

Sure. I actually mean going from, say, 2.00 to 3.00. Not from 2.1 to 2.2.
Denn
Thursday, March 10, 2005

I think this is just "nice to have". It will not new feature and so on. Sure, if previous icons where ugly, they should be changed
Michael Send private email
Thursday, March 10, 2005

Apple has kept the icon for Mail the same from the beginning.  Finder got a small change for 10.2 to coordinate with the overall UI update (flatter appearance, smaller shadow, less depth to the gloss).  iTunes has received a new icon for each major release.  The CD is constant, however the musical note which overlays it changes.  I believe there were originally two (two eighth notes and a quarter notes in purple, then just the two eighth notes in green, then some other colors and arrangements of notes).  I don't think there's any logic to the iTunes changes, however it does identify the new version quite easily (hey, that's the old icon!).
Lou Send private email
Thursday, March 10, 2005

I suspect the reason icons, for new versions, are changed is to make things look "fresh" and "different". That is, it's marketing.

It's possible that, if a person runs multiple versions of a product (not uncommon with MS products), a different icon would be helpful.
njkayaker
Thursday, March 10, 2005

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics