The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Delphi evangalists: paid Delphi tutor wanted

Hello all you delphi evangelists out there.  How would you like to help convert an entire company from VB to Delphi?

I work for a small ISV that makes shrinkwrap software (mostly in VB )

I'd really like to write our next programs in Delphi. I love what I've seen of delphi, but this is a bit intimidating because there aren't any local Delphi programming groups or programmers to turn to for assistance. So, switching to Delphi amounts to "working without a net"

I'd like to pay someone to help me along as needed as I learn Delphi while working on our next programs.  There is the *possibility*, also, of some contract work.  But, for now, the goal would be to help me learn Delphi 2005.

I'm looking for someone who:
1.  Speaks english fairly well. (need not be the first language)
2.  Understands Delphi 2005 very well.
3.  Ideally, has broadband internet access so that we can do app sharing (say, with MSN Messenger). 

If you're interested, drop me an email (click on the email icon below) with your hourly rate.

I anticipate that this will be maybe 5 hours a week for maybe 50 hours.  Just depends on how quickly I pick things up.
ISV looking to move from VB to Delphi Send private email
Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Here are my questions for you:

1.  Where are you located?  Interested on the timezone.
2.  Are you interested in doing the tutoring during the day or in the evening?  I can only do it in the evenings.
3.  Are you interested in Delphi for the Win32 development, .NET development or both?  I am fine doing either or both.

I am fine with the broadband need and I use Skype, any of the IM apps and also can do Remote Desktop.  I charge $20/hour for mentoring and $45 for development work.

I also do mentoring in Test driven Development and Code reviews for teams.

Here is my info:

Chris Woodruff
cwoodruff@terralant.com
http://www.terralant.com (the site is in need of a major upgrade)
blog -- http://www.techquik.com
mobile number -- (859) 230-5575
Chris Woodruff Send private email
Thursday, March 10, 2005

Chris,

We are located in Virginia (East coast time)

Tutoring can be any time.

Win32 development.

Do you have experience with D2005?

Thanks for your response. I'll contact the chosen Delphi tutor.
ISV looking to move from VB to Delphi Send private email
Thursday, March 10, 2005

No need to work without a net.
Check out the newsgroups at newsgroups.borland.com

Lots of helpfull people there.
John Senior
Thursday, March 10, 2005

Not a human tutor but a very good web resource. Delphi basics is, in my opinion, the best web site covering the basic of Delphi, the  rigth way! After 8 years coding in Delphi and using Delphi for complex things, i look a this resource often because simply is best than the help...(a common problem in the IDE marketplace)

http://www.delphibasics.co.uk/
Mario Alejandro M. Send private email
Thursday, March 10, 2005

Second the suggestion to make use of Borland's newsgroups.  There are lots of them, they're well trafficked with friendly and helpful people, and you should get good answers.

You will also have to decide whether and what 3rd party components to use.  The support for these is generally provided via newsgroups, too, and they are an amazing way to learn ins and outs of Delphi.

In particular, you may want to choose to use a 3rd party Delphi-based database where you can get source and where db can be compiled into your executable.  DBISAM and NexusDB would be best choices here.  Newsgroups for both are full of help for newbies.  If you're using SQL Server, MySQL, or some other non-Delphi database there are 3rd party components you can get that work better than those provided with Delphi, and these components, too, will have their own newsgroups.

Final tip is to make use of the newsgroup search tool at http://wwww.fulltextsearch.com .  Most Borland and 3rd party Delphi newsgroups are indexed using this search tool.  You can target searches for a particular newsgroup or set of newsgroups via the caret character (^).  E.g., the search '^nexusdb update sql' would search for all messages in nexusdb's newsgroups containing words 'sql' and 'update'.  The search is an indispensable tool.  Sort of like using GoogleGroups, but targeted at Delphi and gives better results and is easier to use.
Herbert Sitz Send private email
Thursday, March 10, 2005

Oh, and that tip to use DelphiBasics website is something not to overlook.  I forgot about that until I noticed it upon rereading this thread.  I paid $15 and have the local version of the tool.  I use it a lot. A great resource.
Thursday, March 10, 2005

Oh, and get a good Delphi book too.  Marco Cantu's Mastering Delphi is excellent.  You can get a used version for very little.  You probably don't need a version specific to Delphi 2005.  Get Mastering Delphi 6 or MD 7 if you want to save a few bucks.
Thursday, March 10, 2005

We'd be happy to help out with any tutoring or training that you need for Delphi.  That's our specialty.  Your place, our place, online, whatever.
Nick Hodges Send private email
Thursday, March 10, 2005

Chris,

Take a look at this site http://www.delphi.about.com/ hosted by Zarco Gajic.

The site contains lots of Delphi programming tips and code snippets. In addition, a range of Delphi email course has recently been added.

cheers

Scott
Scott Burge Send private email
Thursday, March 10, 2005

I don't know Nick H. other than by reading some of his posts on Delphi newsgroups.  But he might have added that he is a member of Borland's TeamB, volunteers who help out on newsgroups.  Sort of like Microsoft's MVP's. 

Also, just because some people reading this may not realize it, I'll out that you can get to Nick's website by clicking on his name in the sig at the end of his post.  That's a JoS usability feature that probably not everyone knows about.
Thursday, March 10, 2005

I'm located in Northern VA; work in Rosslyn.  Feel free to email me if you like would be glad to help you out and discuss working together.

Regards,

Brian Moelk
bmoelk@NObrainSPAMendeavorHERE.com
www.brainendeavor.com
Brian Moelk Send private email
Thursday, March 10, 2005

Wayne Sherman Send private email
Friday, March 11, 2005

Great posts!

I'm already aware of some of these resources and they ARE great (like Delphi Basics, etc.)

Thank you. Keep 'em coming.
Mr. Analogy {uISV owner} Send private email
Friday, March 11, 2005

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics